Help with Firefox plug in

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys, I just downloaded Firefox at work and the pictures are not showing up (they do at home). Does anyone know what plug in I need to display pics?

Shouldn't need a plug in just to display pictures, I believe they have plug ins that will block pictures and stuff for fast browsing.

I think I remember someone having a problem with AdBlock blocking all images, you have that installed?

jhuggett":6sej66dw said:
Shouldn't need a plug in just to display pictures, I believe they have plug ins that will block pictures and stuff for fast browsing.

I think I remember someone having a problem with AdBlock blocking all images, you have that installed?
No, but let me double check.

The scary part is J gets paid big bucks for a living to say "here, read the FAQ"... :D :D :D :D

If that doesn't work start looking in your system settings... I have a Toshiba that has a 'Fuel Saver' setting (why fuel saver I have no idea) that slows pic loading down to the point that it often time-outs and just puts the Red X in a grey field where pics should be...

This is me at work. Notice the RTFM t-shirt. :lol:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gt9j80Jkc_A" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the top menu bar, Try Tools--Options--Content- and see if "Load Images Automatically" is checked. If it is, Carlos is probably right in that your work server is blocking them.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":hlverwmo said:
In the top menu bar, Try Tools--Options--Content- and see if "Load Images Automatically" is checked. If it is, Carlos is probably right in that your work server is blocking them.

Jim

And if you are by chance running Linux, that same choice is under Edit--Preferences--Content. 8)

Oh, I forgot to add. At work, they (IT) block some avatars. I think they are gif files. But only when it's an avatar. Strange.

In Firefox, go Tools > Main > Manage Add-Ons > Get Add-ons or Plugins

Usually the browser automatically will ask for the plugin it needs, and you just click on the icon to install it. You probably need Adobe flash player, maybe Microsoft Silverlight, but those are often blocked by IT to improve bandwidth by restricting streaming (a continuous feed of bits, instead of a short burst) that video files will cause. An easy way to tell is to try to install the plugin and see if it happens. If so, follow the links to get Add-ons or Plugins and have at it.

If your IT is blocking automatic installs due to lack of privileges, you can add them into a portable flash drive by creating the files at home where you have full permissions, then copying the relevant .dll (use google to find the name of the one you need) to the flash and use a .bat file to set the path (make normal text file and name it with a .bat extension - example "set Path=E:Java\jre6\bin;E:\OpenOffice\Portable;E:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre6\bin;E:\ProgramFiles\Mozilla;E:\Programs\Flash;%Path%", for java for example, but depending on how draconian the restriction is, they may specifically block that streaming video add-on or plugin from running in the registry no matter where you try to run it from. If that's the case, you're out of luck. There are a variety of portable (flash) apps you can install and run from the flash, and U3 is a system on SanDisk flashes that manage applications. IronKey makes a programmable flash, but its probably not worth the trouble since IT monitors your node (computer) to detect streaming.