Help With Identifying a Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLRV

Reaction score
Hi guys-

I was given a pipe this past Christmas, came from the family. I have tried to figure out the signature on the side, but can't seem to do it. I figured BoB would be the perfect place to ask the question. Hopefully someone will know. Sorry for the overall quality, had to use the in computer camera. However, the signature is about as clear as can be expected.

EDIT: Also, on the flip side: 952S AUREA

It's taking a while for the picture to load, but it's there. About 10-15 seconds.

I'm guessing its Italian because "aurea" is Italian for "gold", from the Latin "aurum". Does the script look like it could be "Barontini", or more remotely "Briantea"?

If Barontini:
There were pipe-making cousins by this surname - Ilio and Cesare - and Cesare Barontini still has a web site.

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Italian_Pipe_Brands_%26_Makers_A_-_C

If Briantea:
then it would seem to be an older Radice from the Luigi Radice era.

Briantea / Brianza - Fantasy names; shortly used by Luigi Radice in 1980/81 for sales in Italiany.

Steve

That's a huge help. It seems like it is a Barontini. I haven't been able to find the specific pipe under the maker, however, they do seem to adhere to the numbering system. It was my grandfathers from the 60s or so, which puts it about the right time for the carver.

Thanks so much.