Help with Meerschaum and Corn Cob Brands

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
In working on my pipe reviews site, I am in dire need of more information on Meerschaum pipes. It may that I just didn't look hard enough at Pipedia.com, but do any of you know the brands for Meers?

I'd like to also do the same for Cobs. I know of MMs, but that's about it.

Cool, thanks. I have the IMP on the site, and I'll make a point to list the CAO. It strikes me, based on the Meer I have, that many of them are not identified by brand. :)

MartinH":4k2mbw3x said:
Cool, thanks. I have the IMP on the site, and I'll make a point to list the CAO. It strikes me, based on the Meer I have, that many of them are not identified by brand. :)
A lot of the high end ones are usually identified by carver.

I recall reading somewhere that other than brands like Tanganyika (now defunct I believe) most of the ones around (Barling, Peterson etc.) are always from "formed" meer and not a virgin block and then carved.

Hey everyone! Thanks so much. I'm going to incorporate those things into the site at some point.

I appreciate it.

Martin

The MMs are considered the best corncob pipes. What does anyone know of the "Cobb" pipe brand?

Do you mean Irving J. Cobb? I've got one or two, but don't know much about them. They're quite old. I think MM had more competition back in the day, but I also suspect they supplied pipes to other companies for re-branding. I had a Grabow cob once that I always thought was actually an MM.

Years ago there were a good number of other makers of cobs in or near Washington Missouri, including Cobb, H&b, and others whose names escape me. Most if not all of them were bought out by Missouri Meerschaum. There was also Sunday Cobs made in Canada. Both Grabow and Wally Frank also sold cobs, which probably were made by MM.

Aaaand I just realized this was a two-year-old thread! :oops:
Still pertinent information re cobs, though. Thanks, tiltjlp.

(Mention MM in a thread title, and the CobFather appears... :p )