Help with pipe ID

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping someone might recognize the stamping on this pipe I'm refurbishing.  It is probably a basket pipe, but I would like to decipher the stamping if I can.  Unfortunately it is partial, and while I think the first word is "pipe" it goes down hill quickly after that.  The only other markings are "Aged Algerian Briar" on top of the shank, and "France" on the stem,
Thanks for looking,
Mike.
IMG_0114_zps4pp3njxs.jpg

IMG_0117_zpsoav7vbws.jpg

Looks to me like it says "Pipe Bream," though I found nothing in regards to it from French makers.

Thanks Joshoowah, that's further than I was able to go. Maybe "Dream", but it does look more like a "B." This might just have to remain a mystery.

I spent a little while sifting through stampings and found nothing close to it. The lettering, however, is in the Old Style, meaning it could be pre-1960, or it could just be a retro stamping. My guess is it is a second of one of the French makers. There were two French makers that stamped their stems "France:" Fireside and Wally Frank.

Believe it or not, there was a Pipe Dream BUT! it was manufactured by Marxman.
Now whether they had the French do it for them I don't know. :scratch:

Never Mind! Marxman's Pipe Dream was a figural pipe (of course).

Thats funny, I just finished restoring a Jumbo that I am nearly certain was a Marxman. It was not so...curvy :lol:
I'll do some more digging around Fireside and Wally Frank and see if anything pops up. Thanks much for the suggestions.
Mike.