Help with the age of a Charatan’s Make Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frcraig1700

Hello from Selma Alabama
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know much about English pipes. I tried to research about the Lane era, but I ended up more confused than I was when I started. What say you?
In one of the pics you can see the CP but it’s faded a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    977.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4015.jpeg
    IMG_4015.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
IIRC, Lane imported the Charatans between 1955 and 1988. There were either three or four owners during this time, but Lane did the importing. Dang good looking pipe you have there!! FTRPLT

Very Nice! It’s probably an older pipe as it has a shape number and no double comfort bit. I really like the Special grade, they usually had a symmetrical unique grain. The clean ugly blocks ended up as Distinction or Executive. I like the standard shapes better than the Dublins that more naturally caught or sometime chased the grain. If it were my pipe I’d have Tim West freshen up the pipe and restamp the trademark.

Attachments

• IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Very Nice! It’s probably an older pipe as it has a shape number and no double comfort bit. I really like the Special grade, they usually had a symmetrical unique grain. The clean ugly blocks ended up as Distinction or Executive. I like the standard shapes better than the Dublins that more naturally caught or sometime chased the grain. If it were my pipe I’d have Tim West freshen up the pipe and restamp the trademark.
Thanks for the info. Now I know that I have a chubby!