Hey Danish Pipe Guy

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
What would you recommend for a 'brand new' pipe in the $250-$500 range that is less than 50 grams? Nearly all my pipes are Italian, but I do have a pipe by our very own Sasquatch, a Fillenwarth, and a Thile, all that I love. I also have a little B10 Peterson that is fun. I missed a Viprati yesterday on Ebay that upset me. A four clover brand new that sold for $96, but whatever.

Give me a choice though on a blast, and then a smooth. I'm teaching a racial sensitivity training class later this month and they're paying me about $750 to do it.

I was thinking Cavicchi, Le Nuvole, and Castello, then I began thinking morta from Tom Richard, and now I'm just overwhelmed. Scott Thile's got some nice stuff, but I think he'll be all out after this weekend since he'll be in Chicago this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

:farao:

Wow! Ok. That'll require some thought. Allright. For blasts, I'd condsider either a Bruce Weaver, a Brian Ruthenberg or a Rad Davis. I give a slight edge to Rad as he cuts a killer mouthpiece and nearly all of his pipes are very light in weight.

For a smooth I'd consider Peter Matzhold of Austria. His wood is par excellence. He's able to get more straightrained blocks than any carver I can think of. Keep in mind that he only does classical shapes. If you're looking for a sculpture he's not your man. Take a look on smokingpipes. His pipes are so finely grained that it looks like he painted it on with a brush! Below is a volcano in his highest grade that I bought unsmoked from a friend that came from a European collector. It's insane! :twisted:

Newshotspipes017.jpg

Thank you so much. Regarding the blasts, I really like Rad's stuff, and have been waiting for just the 'right' one. I was going to have him make me one, but I kind of like that spontaneous feeling. Talked with Brian about his stuff, and like his work, but given the choice, I like Rad's work . . . at this moment. Though I'm sure over the next few years I'll have both. I haven't looked at Bruce's work in a while. I don't know why.

Regarding Matzhold's stuff. Wow. Just simply wow. A couple I liked were a little more than I wanted to spend, though I did find one with really nice grain for less than $400. I may end up going that route.

Great stuff though either way. Amazing the quality of work done by these guys.

I appreciate it. Thanks again.

:farao: