Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
I made this pipe today from a pre-drilled kit, thanks to Sorringowl (Frank) and his west coast briar workshop.
It was the most fun I've had in a long time, with some great guys. Joe and Gabe from PipeSmokers Forum were there, making pipes as well. I have to give much thanks to Frank for his hospitality, time, and effort in showing us what to do, how to use the tools, and sharing his knowledge.
My pipe still needs a lot of sanding as well as finishing, and you can see the filing and saw marks, but I'm planning to break it in soon!

WOW thats a nice looking pipe and I really love the shape....nice work :cheers:

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate the feedback!
It's certainly not the prettiest piece of briar, but the amount of fun I had shaping it makes me really want to finish up and try another.

Nice first pipe! I know how you feel about wanting to break it in before you finish it, I've done that a few times.

laherb":4ud0vqfh said:
Nice first pipe! I know how you feel about wanting to break it in before you finish it, I've done that a few times.
Thanks Abe, I really appreciate it!
And I am really tempted to smoke it...

Nice first pipe... my first looked nothing like that.. finish it first.. you'll be glad you waited...

James

It's gorgeous!!! Seems very symmetrical, great balance, and I'm a fan of sitters. :D Do you plan on polishing it up after you smooth it out or just letting it "finish itself" as you smoke/use it?

Kyle Weiss":19gq2r9h said:
It's gorgeous!!! Seems very symmetrical, great balance, and I'm a fan of sitters. :D Do you plan on polishing it up after you smooth it out or just letting it "finish itself" as you smoke/use it?
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
This one was just born to be a sitter, from the way it was cut. After that, I just had to decide on a general shape, and try not to mess it up. It's still a work in progress, but I need to buy some more sandpaper...
Thanks again.
Chris.

Harlock999":4a5tvyik said:
Kyle Weiss":4a5tvyik said:
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
This one was just born to be a sitter, from the way it was cut. After that, I just had to decide on a general shape, and try not to mess it up. It's still a work in progress, but I need to buy some more sandpaper...
Thanks again.
Chris.
Totally. Going with the flow on this one worked! You have no idea how much this is spurring me to go get a kit...man, this winter I can already see will be filled with making music and pipe carving...can't say that's a bad thing. :) There's some incredibly talented hobbyists on this forum!

nice first pipe... finish it, finish it :) - she will look nice :) :)

I've got the PIMO book but never actually ordered the kit. This has inspired me. Soon i'll order the pre-drilled kit and see what I can come up with.

With my somewhat limited workshop, the pre-drilled kit would be the most logical choice.

I like what you've got going.
as a matter of fact I'd love to
have one like that and not
put any more work on it
I'd just smoke it and let it
develop its own character
as its life goes on.

Didn't spot this the first time around.

Nice work! Feels good to make one of your own, doesn't it? Have you finished it up yet? Made another?