Hey, I made a pipe today! (With some help)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice project Harlock, I'm surprised it's not a bulldog. 8)

Looking back is there anything you would do different?

I ask because I want to try this.

Everybody, who is making one, is making such nice pipes. Only inspires me all the more to get to the carving of my pipe.

Dutch":gamjmjij said:
Nice project Harlock, I'm surprised it's not a bulldog. 8)
Well, the block I started with pretty much dictated what kind of shape I could reasonably shoot for, and this one had to have a flat bottom. Otherwise, I would have been happy to make a butchered up bulldog! I'm pretty sure the learning curve for a nice bulldog is much steeper than that sitter I came out with. Marty Pulvers has said that carving a perfect bulldog, then making another just like it, should be the test of a real master carver...

I'm not sure if I could have done anything different with this project, again due to the way the block was cut. I basically just tried to get the proportions to look pleasing to the eye.

Thats a good looking sitter. Are you done with it? Sounds like you had a good time working on it.

Well, the Los Angeles Pipe Maker's Guild had it's first official meeting yesterday, so I had a chance to start another pipe. This time, the briar kit I was preparing to shape was cut more conventionally, so I had a wider variety of styles to choose from. I decided to try to make a copy of a Castello that I really like, so I traced the outline of the pipe onto the block. Frank (sorringowl) did the cutting on the band saw, then it was on to the shaping wheel!
After the block was rounded, out came the files, and the thing started to look like a pipe. It's still far from finished, as it still needs to shed quite a bit of wood, but overall, I was very happy with the progress. And more than anything, it was a great way to spend the day.

That one looks to have some real possibility's :p Keep us posted on it's progress !!

Lookin' good, Harlock! I like the shape you've got going. Keep us posted!

Did some more work on the pipes at Frank's (sorringowl) workshop yesterday. The Los Angeles Pipe Makers Guild is still just the two of us, and we haven't finished our pipes yet, but we're getting pretty close.. Here are my two pipes: my first, the barrel poker, which has lost a lot of it's barrel-ishness, and the latest, which is the Castello inpired bent billiard. I did quite a bit of sanding and filing yesterday, working on the symmetry of the shank/bowl junction and slimming down the pipe considerably. Sand paper awaits...