Hi - Brothers of Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesFersch

Reaction score
Well hello, I finally registered to the forum after I lurked for about 1/2 year. My name is James if you couldn't guessed that already ;)

I'm a pipesmoker for about a year now, I was a former cig smoker. Quitted and never looked back. Smoked about 7-8 bowls though in the first days for nic only I guess, reduced that quite fast though.

Now I'm smoking 1-3 bowls a day, most of the time only 1. Still tend to the nic stronger blends.

I'm living over the pond, in a very little town in the small state Austria. I know, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mozard, Glock and Hitler, just to get all the clichés out of the way :roll: .

It's not that easy here to get good tobacco. The german neighbours have access to about 850 different blends, when in Austria there are about 170. And I would say that atleast 100 of them are terrible, either candy hot-smokers or just not my cup of tea. There still exists a tobacco monopoly, don't ask me why. But that makes it difficult to get tobacco from Germany or even from the US, though I would love to try Billy Bud or Da Vinci or other blends. Well, I'll have to make a trip to Swiss which isn't too far, there I can get my hands on these goodies.

I'm a filter smoker, activated charcoal Stanwell filters, (not these balsa filters, no purpose in them really) which I guess are kinda uncommon outside the german pipe community.

Hm, that's all I guess haha.

Willkomen, James! Wie gehts? (that's about all of my Deutsch :lol: )
What are the mailing restrictions into Austria? I'm sure we would all be happy to send you some tobacco samples from the US.

Thanks guys :)

And

George Kaplan":f35v11ro said:
Willkomen, James! Wie gehts? (that's about all of my Deutsch :lol: )
What are the mailing restrictions into Austria? I'm sure we would all be happy to send you some tobacco samples from the US.
Mir geht es sehr gut, danke!
Thank you very much, but restrictions make that kinda "impossible" or just luck based. It's a really weird law. If I travel myself to any country, I can take 500g (about 17 oz) back with me, without any taxes or problems.
But with any kind of mail, no matter if package or bigger letters, no matter if from a business or a friend, I have to pay duty on it. That's +75% of the value the tobacco would be sold in my country, plus extra +20% sales tax. Yes, it's that insane. I've tried it and ordered 2 times from Germany as well as once from 4noggins. One package from Germany came through, the other 2 I gave up because of the horrendous taxes :| .

JamesFersch":7ijbv2nz said:
I'm living over the pond, in a very little town in the small state Austria. I know, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mozard, Glock and Hitler, just to get all the clichés out of the way :roll: .
You forgot the von Trapps :lol: Welcome, James! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"

Again, thanks guys! :D

And

DrT999":g2tzpvg7 said:
You forgot the von Trapps :lol: Welcome, James! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"
Haha,I should have thought about him and/or the Sound of Music, yes :!:

Welcome James,

Glad to have you on board. Come back and post often.

Welcome James!!

Your tobacco situation is unfortunate. Sometimes it seems that the world is against us pipe smokers (even with the huge money making abserd tobacco taxes.) but at least now you have some Brothers to share that with.

Welcome to the forum James...pull up a chair and a pipe and jump on in.

Good Evening Everyone;

I am a pipe smoker and have been for 51 years. Started when I was 9 and have never looked back. I "cut my teeth" on some of the best pipe tobacco available in that time period, with most of it now gone.

My overall perference is matured virginia plugs/ flakes/blends and always has been. I do enjoy Balkan, Oriental, and full english blends and occasionally smoke a few of the "old" drug store brands.

I am the father of 3 sons...29,17, & 15.

Pipes and pipe tobaccos are a passion of mine and I have always found solace in virtually every aspect of pipe smoking. Like Albert Einstein said in 1950 upon his acceptance into the pipe club in Montreal..."I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"....

Interesting quote from Patrick Henry and it is right on target!