Hi From Amsterdam

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugo

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm a longtime tobacco user fairly new to the pipe. I started smoking as a teenager, mostly shag (rolling tobacco) as I couldn't afford cigarettes. My favorite brand was Drum. Nowadays I mostly smoke Camel cigarettes (EU JTI blend). I keep a bag of Van Nelle zwaar just in case I run out of cigarettes. It is a very dark and heavy rolling tobacco. A very nice flavour, but you just can't smoke much of it.

If I don't have to work the next day I also like to smoke cannabis. I have been growing my own since 2003 (lowrider). This year I finally mastered the finer art of curing and became self sufficient for a good smoke.

I like a big cigar on occasion, the occasion mostly being after copious diner with a glass of premium rum.

Back in March I decided to try the pipe. I got me a simple straight briar pipe from Del Nobile and everything else you need and started trying some tobaccos. This is what I tried so far.

Coopvaert Naturel. It is without additions, just tobaccos. This also makes it rather dry. I used this to burn in my pipe.
Schippers speciaal. It is like coopvaert what we call here baai tabak. Simple dried and cut tobaccos but this one has a bit of chocolate flavor. They were perfect to burn in my pipe and teach me how to smoke calmly.

Sweet Dublin Irish Whiskey and ALSBO whisky. I just love the smell of these strongly flavoured tobaccos. I find it hard to keep a pipe burning with tobacco from a fresh pouch I really need to get me a refillable lighter that doesn't suck.

Vintage Bell's Three Nuns. My grandfather has a carton of tins from the late 70s/early 80s and dug one up for me to try when I mentioned smoking pipe. I suspect it is a little dryer than originally sold but still a good smoke. Really dark earthy stuff with loads of nicotine.

I'm interested in learning some more here, eg. about what other pipes are a must have and what other tobaccos are a must try. Although I don't live in the best climate for it I'm also interested in growing my own tobacco.

Greetings and welcome aboard. :D

Vintage Three Nuns, I am jealous. That must be great!

Welcome to the forums! I hope you will enjoy yourself here. As you can see, your 3 Nuns will cause comment!

"T"

From what I gathered the current incarnation of three nuns is from different tobacco strains. A bit of a bummer as I would love to get a good feel for what a few decades in a tin does to a blend. I'll give the current blend a try anyway, if anyone knows a good replica of the original blend, let me know.

I see my gramps again mid December and I'll quiz him about the origin of the carton of tins. I suspect he picked it up on a discount and tax free traveling first class with British Airways only to find out that my mom quit smoking. He never smoked pipe. Only Camel without filter.

Welcome to the BoB forums dugo, great to have you here! :D

Welkom van Ierland broer! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

Greetings from a Dutch-founded city in the USA!

I post this in jest... ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QJ882QYzr-M" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>