Hickory Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinger4me

Reaction score
For those of us who are well past 50, how many have smoked pipes made out of hickory. I think they were made by Herschel & Bendheim and Missouri Meerschaum. I recall having some and the bark was still on the outside of the bowl.

Stinger

Not I, but would buy one to try if of decent size and as described. Seems as though they would exude one hell of a campfire flavor.

Hickory pipe, you say?

Once they are broken in they are quite nice. I have yet to notice my smokes tasting or smelling like bacon...

I never encountered any Hickory pipes but the only pipes I recall having the bark on them were the Ropp Cherry wood pipes which were a dream to smoke !! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":1ipikkzx said:
I never encountered any Hickory pipes but the only pipes I recall having the bark on them were the Ropp Cherry wood pipes which were a dream to smoke !! :twisted: :twisted:
Totally agree!!! Had two, the small one actually cracked on me!! Still have the large one with lots of bark on it. Actually prefer it to a cob for smoking aros!! :cheers: FTRPLT

The bark on the hickory pipes was not as prevalent as that on the Ropp pipes. the bowls were barrel shaped and bark was absent at the top and bottom of the bowls. I can't recall seeing them with a bent stem. More information from the brain of the "Old Fart".

Stinger

I knew a preacher back when I was a kid and he smoked a pipe made from Hickory. He had several that he made from the same tree. I never talked to him about how they smoked. I remember that I asked him what kind of pipe he was smoking and what type of tobacco. He showed me his pipe rack and told me he always smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. He passed away 5-6 years ago and he was in his nineties. I guess smoking a pipe made of Hickory finally caught up with him. :)

AJ

ajn27511":34e58dnl said:
I knew a preacher back when I was a kid and he smoked a pipe made from Hickory. He had several that he made from the same tree. I never talked to him about how they smoked. I remember that I asked him what kind of pipe he was smoking and what type of tobacco. He showed me his pipe rack and told me he always smoked Sir Walter Raleigh. He passed away 5-6 years ago and he was in his nineties. I guess smoking a pipe made of Hickory finally caught up with him.  :)

AJ
Oh, boy, hope I don't have to be around THAT long. 90?

:fpalm:

Why not? You've got nothing else to do! ?

AJ