High Humidity

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
What are some things one can do to control high humidity readings in a humidor?
Thanks,
Milan

What kind of humidification device are you using?

It's the unit that comes with a small sized Savoy humidor. I had an order of sticks show up today and when I opened the humidor the hygrometer read 78%. When I calibrated the hygrometer it calibrated 2% under, which means that it really was reading 80%. I noticed a blemish on one of the cigars. I don't know if it's from the high humidity levels or if it was there when I purchased it? Nonetheless, I'm wondering if it may be from the low number of cigars that were in the unit. I only had about a dozen cigars in it when I opened it to see the high readings?
Thanks,
Mlian

Milan, my experience has always been that the lower the number of cigars in your humidor, the harder your humidification device has to work to keep a particular humidity level.

My solution would be to leave the lid open on the humidor for 3 or 4 hrs, close the lid and give it an hour to level off and see where you are. I would just repeat as needed until you get the humidity down where you want it.

Thanks Dutch. You've been a huge help over the past weeks with all my cigar questions. It went down by about 20% when I opened it for a couple minutes to put in the new cigars. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I'll put them in the cooler if push comes to shove.
Thanks,
Milan

I'd agree with Dutch; when my humidor is full the reading is usually just fine, and doesn't nee much adjusting with a timely -- monthly? -- checkup. Of course, this gives you an excuse to fill it up

Another option is to ditch the humidifying unit that came with the humidor and move to gel or beads. They do a much better job of maintaining proper RH levels.

Personally, I use unscented silica kitty litter. It maintains a perfect 63% which is where I prefer all of my cigars, it's the same chemical makeup as the $20/lb beads, but it costs less than $1/lb! It also has the added benefit of maintaining active humidification, meaning that it lets out RH when needed and sucks in excess RH.

Take into consideration the Boveda Packs. I swear by them as I live in an old farm house in East Texas. This morning the ambient humidity outside was 100% according to the 5 a.m. weather. These packets soak up excessive humidity and they last a while to boot. You can also place them directly on top of your sticks without any negative effects. If interested I placed a link below. These things really work well for me.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/boveda+69+humidity+12+pack/item+28690?kws=ZWW4354&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_content=accessories_HD-BOV-69PK&utm_campaign=ZWW4354

Milan":8t3sfk7c said:
What are some things one can do to control high humidity readings in a humidor?
Thanks,
Milan

I think I recall that you ordered some Heartfelt beads.
Put em in there dry and they'll suck up the excess humidity.

I agree with Hermit 100%. Heartfelt beads will solve your problem ASAP. Also if you're having high humidity issues you can try removing the humidifcation altogether and see what RH the box keeps on its own. Long term, though, you'll want something better than the default sponge humidifier. Beads, Boveda or gel.