HitchHikers Guide to the Universe,, have you read it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roogles":67rpuuc4 said:
IIRC, Adams was involved in the BBC adaptation of the books as well as the BBC radio program for the Hitchiker's Guide.
Douglas Adams was involved in all the adaptations of his story, from the original radio show through to the most recent movie.

Fred Smith":yul98jge said:
roogles":yul98jge said:
IIRC, Adams was involved in the BBC adaptation of the books as well as the BBC radio program for the Hitchiker's Guide.
Douglas Adams was involved in all the adaptations of his story, from the original radio show through to the most recent movie.
I didn't realize (until going and doing some reading just now - which was quite a pain with wikipedia down, by the way) that he had collaborated or done screen-writing for the 2005 Hitchhiker's Guide movie... According to IMDB it looks like he had just started working on the screenplay with Karey Kirkpatrick when he died in 2001.

That makes me wonder how much different the movie would have been if Adams had lived long enough to take part in the remainder of the screenplay, the writing, or the directing of the film.

roogles":qkeo2zv6 said:
That makes me wonder how much different the movie would have been if Adams had lived long enough to take part in the remainder of the screenplay, the writing, or the directing of the film.
It probably would have been much better than what was released.

I try to view it as merely another adaptation of the same basic story, though. There were many versions starting with the radio plays, and each one had substantial differences from the others. I try to view each one on its own merits, but the film was by far my least favorite.

I thought the whole series was fantastic. I remember when my brother gave me the 'more than complete hitchhiker's guide' for xmas long ago. I have read it several times.

I also loved listening to the radio plays, I found them online once, but it has been a while.

I also love the VHS miniseries, I think it is absolutely brilliant.

However I can't bear to watch that ruddy hollywood movie. The only thing good that I can find to say about that movie is that it has a brief shot of the real "Marvin" in it.

I am also a big fan of his DR Who stories. Douglas Adams was a great writer all around, I love his wit.

lowflyingpenguin":olrfgch3 said:
The best adaptation of the books was done by the BBC. It was a series of 6 or 7 one hour episodes and was really close to the books. BTW , Adams was writer for the BBC back in the day (Dr Who) so they probably had him either doing or vetting the adaptations. I have the DVDs here someplace I'll have to check on his involvement in the BBC series.
I believe the radio series came before the TV series and these were THEN put together by Adams into the books back in '79. He did both the radio series AND the TV series and ALL of these were FAR BETTER than that movie they did in '05 for sure :p

DustyRoundup":yed1nzef said:
LOL, Natch,,,

Oops, I may have a problem here.
I thought this was the book, but the book I have is:

The art of shen ku
the ultimate travelers guide of this planet
The first intergalactic artform of the entire universe.
By ,,,,"Zeek"

Hmmm ? sorry, I goofed, this isnt the hitchhikers guide. :confused:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Dang, Dusty. I ignored this thread for weeks thinking it was about Douglas Addams. I enjoyed "Hitchhiker's Guide" back in high school, but I can't really hold my own in a conversation with TRUE fans of the work. It seems this turned into an Adams thread anyway.
Ironic, since I actually HAVE read the "Art of Shen Ku"! That book reads like the work of a highly intelligent mentally ill person. I mean that in the most accurate way possible; my ex-wife was a psych nurse and I live in a town full of crazies, literally. Mental health care had always been a big industry in Kalamazoo. (My street used to be named Asylum Boulevard.) The way "Zeek" draws bizarre connections between solid facts to give a higher meaning life's minutiae which only he has fully understood is downright schizophrenic. Still, though, it's a fun book with some sound advice on practical matters. What do you think of it? Crazy people can be fun when they're not on your porch blaming you for "putting iodine in the rainbows".

p.s. "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy": great book, crappy movie.

George Kaplan":84hn6jr9 said:
the work of a highly intelligent mentally ill person. Crazy people can be fun when they're not on your porch blaming you for "putting iodine in the rainbows"..
Sounds like BoB to me.

puros_bran":49sgqxwk said:
George Kaplan":49sgqxwk said:
the work of a highly intelligent mentally ill person. Crazy people can be fun when they're not on your porch blaming you for "putting iodine in the rainbows"..
Sounds like BoB to me.
Did I say my ex-wife was a Psych nurse? maybe I only THOUGHT we were married. These new meds have me all confused.

One thing I learned along time ago George.

We are all 100% batshot crazy. Just most of us deny it.