Hobo Pipe's: F&T Reject

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobo Hoot

Reaction score
Howdy pilgrims, just a quick before-and-after of a recently restored/rescued/revamped/reshaped pipe! If you want the full three-part series it's on the Hobo Pipe's blog at:

hobopipes.blogspot.com.au/

I'm usually in favor of sympathetic restorations with as little done as possible. This pipe was disgusting and flawed, however I couldn't let that birdseye go to waste!

Thank you Fatman :) As you can see in the blog there was much back-yard bodging going on to bring this pipe to life again.

It boggles my mind a little to think that this little pipe started life growing by the Mediterranean, was hauled by donkey to the sea, shipped to England and made in to a pipe, somehow made it's way to Germany where it was smoked ruthlessly by an old geezer who died, sold to a secondhand dealer by his kids in a box of 25 (which I bought off of eBay for $10) and then shipped to Australia. Who knows what adventures it had along the way. One thing is for sure, it won't now be thrown away and it may well live on for many years and more adventures!

Way to save a stunning bit of Briar, and what a fascinating life it has had already, kudos for breathing new fire into the dragons furnace with this pipe, fantastic job. ;)

Absolutely beautiful. That is an amazing transformation. Great job.

Laughing at Mon's "out-Danishing Stanwell" -- brilliant. :lol: Too true.

I think it's nifty...kind of like a lacrosse stick. I appreciate anyone who can try and rescue a pipe from the brink--done this a few times myself, even if just to have a go at it.

8)

monbla256":ri3kzqk4 said:
You out Danished Stanwell :cheers: Nice job :twisted:
HAHAHAA!

Thanks for the replies one and all. I don't think anyone who has ever laid rasp to briar has ever been completely happy with the result. But at some point you have to stop and think, "I've done the best I can with this bit of briar and the skills I currently have."

I smoked this little one last night, a few words formed in the curling plumes...

In the heel a lingering warmth
Ember's shadow, memories drawn forth
In my hand a little friend
Of swirling grain and ebonite bend

Over the next couple of days I'll select my next pipe from the 'Germany box' (25 pipes from eBay Germany, all smoked to the edge of oblivion) and get started on it. Below (that I've posted elsewhere) are a couple of photographs of an Olroth's Import from the same box, and same smoker, as this little one (both were just stummels with no bits). It was, however, more easily rescued! Anyone else have any 'rescues' going at the moment?

The full story with lots of photo's is over on the Hobo Pipe's blog (feel free to comment, my friend and I are like a couple of nattering grannies over there at the moment)!

hobopipes.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/restoration-olroths-import.html

I'm relearning where everything is on the forums here, if someone already has this thread going elsewhere please tell me :)

Wow that is beautifull! Great work on that, and I really like that style of pipe(never seen one like that before). Keep it up i'm sure we would all love to see what you do with the rest of those lost pipes.

Great work...reminded me that I have a Danish freehand that is in rough shape (estate) as it has fractured in a couple of places...maybe this is the answer to making it whole again...hhmmmm.

I am much impressed I've been dabbling in a little home restoring but nothing like that. Wow.

I'm thinkin' at this point that you could likely turn a lump of road tar into great pipe. 

Nothing at all wrong with buying and/or making new stuff, but I think bringing those stone dead critters back through the veil...well, it's kind of noble in a Saturday night after a couple of drinks kinda way. And there's certainly no denying that..."You've Got the Power! "

Please keep the photos flowing. It's really interesting in a 'craft' sense as well.