Holdup at the Post Office

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...there, that get your attention? :lol:

Them holding me up, not the other way around.

So, apparently, first I've heard this, if you re-use a "Priority Mail" box from them, they have to send it that service level. Okay, I get that. How about if you cover up the logos? Re-wrap the box? Doesn't matter.

"We know just by the shape, and your total is $38.52 to send this to Finland, otherwise, if you use a different box, like a brown one for your other parcels here, it's $13.22."

Unless I had a particularly anal post office clerk, I've never had this happen before. The used to treat boxes just as boxes, unless you otherwise requested a certain service. I was always very good at covering up logos, just to prevent confusion--not be treated like I was "sneaking one past the guard." Sheesh. Now I have to wait until I get a brown box of the proper size.

Never screw with an organization that's only not shut down due to bankruptcy because of the backing of a pretty heavy parent company: the U.$. Government. Just a little colored cardboard and some policies to make everything perfectly complicated--or pay the price. Fascinating.

8)

Kyle, it's been the rule since the onset of priority mail, but mostly not enforced. Until a bunch of people got the idea that they could get 'free boxes' for their shipments by wrapping the Priority mail boxes, or in several cases, turning them inside out. So the Inspector General started enforcing the rule at the insistence of Congressional committee. Several individuals and corporations have llitigated this up the Appellate Court level and lost, and had to pay big fines.

The clerk was actually saving you from a potential minor criminal act.

I once tried to reuse a fedex logo box and mail it usps, they refused, but they did give me some priority mail tape to cover up the logo, then they allowed it.

Walmart sells boxes for a couple bucks. Repack it and send it off, save a bunch.

They also won't supply a piece of tape for a last-minute problem. I gave them a hard time about it but they wouldn't budge.

alfredo_buscatti":e0c752dl said:
They also won't supply a piece of tape for a last-minute problem. I gave them a hard time about it but they wouldn't budge.
Yup.

The last word in their name should be changed to "SCAM". Check out what they charge for tape.

:x

Kyle Weiss":jto7dbhk said:
...there, that get your attention? :lol:

Them holding me up, not the other way around.
Good, I was worried we would have to come up with the bail. . . .:pirat:

DAMN!! And I thought you had finally gone "postal" on us :twisted: :twisted:

alfredo_buscatti":2vf5m45s said:
I've never had this problem...the clerks up here are pretty helpful, in a pinch. Must be from the same stock as the folks down Hermit's way.

Hermit":8df8tu3f said:
Damn! Y'all have shitty Post Offices. :twisted:
At mine, they greet me by name. :lol:
Yea, mine too. Of course the "town" it is located in is just a spot in the road between Nothingsburg and Nowheresville.

idbowman":q9k4zey1 said:
alfredo_buscatti":q9k4zey1 said:
I've never had this problem...the clerks up here are pretty helpful, in a pinch. Must be from the same stock as the folks down Hermit's way.
Same here. They have always been helpful. I've not always liked the help, but I've never been denied a piece of tape or white label.

gravel":84voh3l5 said:
idbowman":84voh3l5 said:
alfredo_buscatti":84voh3l5 said:
Same here. They have always been helpful. I've not always liked the help, but I've never been denied a piece of tape or white label.
There is a dramatic difference between the level of service I get at the post office near my home and the one near my office. Both are in Philly.

Dave_In_Philly":r3fsvo5j said:
gravel":r3fsvo5j said:
idbowman":r3fsvo5j said:
alfredo_buscatti":r3fsvo5j said:
There is a dramatic difference between the level of service I get at the post office near my home and the one near my office. Both are in Philly.

Same experience. My little branch PO in Snoqualmie is always very helpful with regards to last minute needs like extra tape or something. Yet drive into Issaquah 30 min away and it's another world.

Cheers,

RR

They will give me tape and bubble wrap at the two small ones I use. Huh guess that's a small town for you.

This post office is one of the good ones, it was just this one gal. She was nice, but just very letter-of-the-law. I won't get into opinions about "contracted companies" like the IRS and Post Office, but re-using a box being a crime pretty much says it all--red tape pays and controls. Gimme an effing break. Besmirch my squeaky clean record! Good heavens! :lol:

Just an eye opener for me. I'm no stranger to local, state and federal bureaucracy with me being in the mining industry, but I've never acquired a taste for taking their medicine.

I'll find a box eventually. I'm not going to Wal Mart. Ain't gonna happen. Especially this time of year. You all forget I have mental issues, or at least mistake which ones actually afflict me. :lol:

8)

do you need every inch of the box? you can just make the box a bit smaller

rev

Yeah, the box was the perfect size. I would rather have a one-piece box rather than a hack'n'slash frankenbox, it has to make it to Finland and all... :| If I were still working at my battery warehouse I would have had boxes galore. But nooooo...I had to change careers again. :lol:

Remember, kids, stay at your job for what supplies you can...*ahem*...borrow temporarily. That's incentive.

8)