Holy Hanna it's Cold

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05Venturer

Reaction score
Furnace is running OT, bad timing to have a problem with my corn furnace. Gonna be using some LP the next few days  :( 

BF518629-3147-451B-A26E-A9DD2A5126FF_zpsjab6mntm.png

Makes my old bones ache just reading about it. It was a balmy 79 degrees here today. Just the way I like it. :) 

AJ

I can relate.

Unusually cold here in the PacNW.

Daytime got to 30. Now 22 with a low of 15 tonite.

Rinse and repeat through the weekend!

:pale: 

Cheers,

RR

Supposed to hit -7 here in Denver tonight. I may have to actually shut the window and turn off the box fan for once!

Jim

when the overnight temps fall below freezing here in the SF Bay Area, you just have to know that it's gotta be miserable in places where real winter exists ... we're going to see some snow tonight in areas above 2000 feet, which means the higher mountain tops around the Bay ... we'll have the relative luxury of putting up with a freezing cold rain while being able to SEE snow without the need to shovel any ...

and, of course, homes here weren't built with the idea that low temps would prevail at any point, so the insulation isn't up to the sort of R-Value that handles sub-freezing temps ... ergo, my furnace is running WAY more than it normally does in an effort to keep up ...

05Venturer":kly92rui said:
Furnace is running OT, bad timing to have a problem with my corn furnace. Gonna be using some LP the next few days  :( 
I'd say I feel yer pain, but I ain't felt that kinda pain in a long time.  ;) 
It's freezing here...in the mid forties.  8)

I live at the edge of the foothills of the great central valley (breadbasket of the nation) in the Sacramento region, elevation aprox 300 feet. Our last measurable snowfall was in 1972, according to the weather dude on the radio today. It is supposed to snow tonight, any time now actually. Weird. It was 75 degrees a few days ago.

Not as cold as -11 but it's 24 and did not get above 26 today with sleet and ice and is supposed to get into the teens tonight! And it was 80 degrees on Monday this week !! Been learning Spanish cause central Mexico is looking better every winter :twisted:  :twisted: 

60s here. The only problem we run into here in central NC are ice storms, which when we do get them, coat every branch of the trees; when the ice gets heavy enough the roots give up and the tree comes down, taking whatever wires are in the way. The heat goes out with the electricity. It can take up to a week for crews to get everyone's power back on, and meanwhile you sit shivering in your house as no one is going anywhere, including work. The last time it happened was in 2003, and I had 12 layers of clothes on, and I still froze.

ajn27511":wuis3qzk said:
Makes my old bones ache just reading about it. It was a balmy 79 degrees here today. Just the way I like it. :) 

AJ
Yeah, it was 71 here, 48 now, and will be 36 tonight.

That drop bothered me, until I saw Venturer mention -11!

Well I must say I was disappointed. The intellicast computer model, the various forecasts, all called for overnight snow, temps dropping into the 20's, winds to 20mph. Peeked out the window at 11 last night, nothing. Woke at 4 am and had a look, calm, a little wet. Presently it's around 40 degrees.The 12 hour radar loop shows precipitation that skirted all around us but barely dropped any rain here in town, and a snow level that never dropped low enough to even flirt with us. Bummer. Time to get the shorts and Birkenstocks back out.

Hi PD. Snowing last night at Newcastle. Roads clear here at 1450 ft. 1 of 2 inches total. not much.

:D 

Thursday night at work, they let us go out 15 minutes early to start and clean the ice and snow off our cars.
I made $27.50 renting my 2 window scrapers to folks without them.
I said, You got a $200 IPhone but not a $5 scraper? doesn't IPhone have an app for this?

It was -40 Deg Celcius (without the wind chill) yesterday morning on the my way to work but it was for the best as when the rig crew went to unroll there 1" hydraulic lines for the BOP's the hoses broke in half and we got the rest of the day off with pay while they replaced it.

It was -36 this morning and at 11:40 were are still waiting for a broke down pressure truck to arrrive.
The longer they take the better it's suppose to warm up to -20 this afternoon.

loneredtree":70msogwr said:
Hi PD. Snowing last night at Newcastle. Roads clear here at 1450 ft. 1 of 2 inches total. not much.

:D 
I'm in Folsom. Just a light drizzle of rain here. Cameron Park (15 mins drive up the hill, and another 500 feet in elevation) got 2 inches. So grey out we can't even see El Dorado Hills 2 miles away.

shootist51":3t1qkc9m said:
Thursday night at work, they let us go out 15 minutes early to start and clean the ice and snow off our cars.
I made $27.50 renting my 2 window scrapers to folks without them.
I said, You got a $200 IPhone but not a $5 scraper? doesn't IPhone have an app for this?
You sound like a man after my own thoughts !! Good on ya! Just as I would have done and said . :twisted: :twisted: 

Yep, cold here with below zero temps for several days and around 8 inches of new snow. I am sitting by the fire watching football. I need to change the oil in my pickup and cut, split, and stack another cord of wood. These cold temps give me a reason to not do much today, I will take it.

I smoked a cob yesterday. I keep my pipes in the shop and it probably wouldn't hurt them, but I didn't want to take the chance of the briar being extremely cold and then getting warm to fast from smoking one.

Here in Tallahassee, it is raining and 70 degrees...good night to stay home...every night is a good night to stay home.