Home Grown

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmess

Reaction score
Does anyone grow their own tobacco?
I might attempt this next year.

Bill

billmess":n0yvngo4 said:
Does anyone grow their own tobacco?
I might attempt this next year.

Bill
I've thought about it, but prices haven't quite pushed me there yet. More power to you, though! I'm a big fan of the sustainable option. Let us know how it goes!

I haven't grown any yet but I do have a bag of Orinoco Virginia seed. I may give it a go this coming spring.

As far as growing it just to see a beautiful plant well thats great but not so sure I would want to smoke it unless it was processed and cured the right way.
Best Regards
Richard

Richard Hester":xfw0w99j said:
As far as growing it just to see a beautiful plant well thats great but not so sure I would want to smoke it unless it was processed and cured the right way.
Best Regards
Richard
Well sure. Therein lies the challenge! Stephen Downie of Downie Pipes did this a year or two ago and had some relatively good success, so I hear. Check out his blog:

Oct 6th 2009: Tobacco Harvest and Processing.

It's about 2/5 down the page. Very good read.

Uberhuberman I stand corrected thank you for the info it was a very good read.
Best Regards
Richard

I grew some for the first time this year. There is a ton of good information on howtogrowtobacco.com. The growing process was pretty easy. Drying was easy too. I just hung it up in the garage. It is the curing that was a challenge. The final product is a bit bland, but definitely smoke-able.

If I get some land, I want to try and make "Nevadakia." 8) Our arid region has great amounts of interesting things to burn for smoky flavor.

I thought about growing a few plants just for the fun of it,
but there are so many varieties, I couldn't decide which one to try.

I grew Dark Virginia from thetobaccoseed.com, which I found through a Google search. They said it was a good variety for the beginner. I didn't realize the seeds were coming from England, but they arrived (to Minnesota) in about 3 days.

I recommend just picking a kind or two and trying it. You have nothing to lose, and it is fun and satisfying seeing the plants growing.

If you're going to grow, you might want to order your seed soon. I usually start the seed in late January or early Feb so the plants are ready to go in the ground come planting season. I'm in NY and I assume Mass. growing season is similar length. Also cold harden your plants before placing them in the ground, it makes for a much hardier plant right from the start. Organic pesticide is a consideration too.

I jus started some Virginia Burley from seed. I will let y'all know how it goes

I haven't grown any Tobacco recently, but when I was a kid, growing up in Kentucky. we used to get pressed into helping the family maintain the Tobacco Crops. We'd go out and top the tobacco plants, and then do the Harvesting, Hanging, and then moving the dried product to the other barns for curing and what not. It kept the whole Family busy, including Cousins, Nieces, Nephews, Aunts and Uncles. Everyone participated. We were always pressed into Farm Duties, for all various Family Crops, Snap Beans, Corn, Strawberries, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Squash, Okra & Blackberries & Cherries, Peaches. After the picking and harvesting was done, we all were pressed to clean and prepare everything for Canning, and distributing to the entire Family, and selling off the rest. If you saw my Grandads pickup truck coming, with all the Cousins in the back, you knew what time it was. Farm Duty, and then a Trip to Polly's Freeze for Ice Cream.