honest opinion about MacB's honey and chocolate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying some of this stuff and am aggrivated at the reviews on TR. Sure its a 3 star rating, but the negative reviews are too contradictory.. the honey is over powering, the chocolare is overpowering, the perique overpowers everything else, there's no taste at all...

Although, I suppose if I don't like it, someone on here will be willing to take it. It can't have 3 stars for NOTHING, right?

Can any of you fellas give a thumbs up or thumbs down on this stuff?

As a Mac Baren fancier, and an occassional consumer of aromatic tobaccos, I can only say that I found this stuff utterly abhorrent. It tasted like chocolate milk to me, and that's not what I'm looking for in a pipe.

Cut 1:30 into something else I can see it being a graceful condimental addition, but on its own, I found it overwhelmingly flavored and I couldn't stand it.

As always, your mileage may vary. Depends on what you are looking for.

Honestly, my personal feelings on reviews goes this far:

If on TR or whatever, it has 50+ reviews that average 3 stars, then thats an indicator that the tobacco is worth trying. If nothing else you know the product is going to be at least smokable and probably of relatively high quality.

But that's as far as I go. No one can predict my palette or response to certain blends. I can't even predict it. I read a bunch on it, look for Brothers who have reviewed it on here (there are a few I trust to approximate my tastes roughly, Blackhorse for example), then I take the plunge and buy the smallest amount I can. If I like it, great. I smoke that tin pretty quickly and usually pick up a much bigger amount to age/smoke in my rotation. If not, I stick it in a mason jar, label it, and will leave it for 3-5 years. On the label I put my general thoughts so I can compare the present tobacco with the aged version in a few years. Once I revisit the blend with some age on it, I'll decide whether I like it then (enough to buy more and age) or whether its time to gift off an aged tin to one of the brothers here who love the blend.

I guess my long winded response is trying to say: Buy a small tin and try it. If you like it, lovely, if not, oh well. There's really no other way of ascertaining whether or not you like a blend.

I'm a new pipe smoker (3 months). I bought a pound of H&C a little over a month ago (in a sealed bag) based on the reviews.

My thoughts:

The tobacco has a fantastic aroma upon opening. Dark chocolate.

While smoking, though, the chocolate did not come through very much, but the room note was pleasant enough.

I sensed a slight "bitterness" on my tongue (not repugnant, but not totally pleasant) during the smoke, but I cannot say that I experienced any true bite. My main complaint was that it seemed to smoke on the hot side, which detracted from my enjoyment. In fairness, I am a huffer and puffer; however, H&C seem to burn hotter than many of my other aromatics.

I'd give it a...um...2.8 on the 4-point scale. I'm going to try blending it with some other aromatics (e.g., Lane's RLP6) to see if that will help. I think it has potential as part of a personal blend. I agree with CLRV to buy only a bit at first. (Don't be like me!)