Hope for a Bad Pipe Design to Smoke Well?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Newish smoker.

Have an older pipe, which is my father's. I'll keep it until the day I die, but man, I can NOT get the thing to smoke well.

The bowl descends at a 45o angle, very distinctly, and because of that, it is always burning down the front edge, and doesn't seem to smoke well. It always gives a wet, hot smoke, compared to my other pipe. (Singular, yes!).

Is there any hope for being able to smoke my father's pipe well, or is it just a bad design? It is, obviously, of sentimental value, that I learn to make this thing work well for me, even if it requires more work than it should.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer insight :)

I have a few of those. My first pipe is very much the same way. If it's a design issue, there are some fine folks on this board who could probably fix it for you.

I would highly recommend drying your tobacco a bit more prior to smoking it and see what happens. With my bent pipes especially, I always keep pipe cleaners on hand when I sit down to smoke. I run them down the the stem almost to the bowl to absorb built up moisture during each smoke, mostly whenever the pipe starts to gurgle. With new pipes I continue to do this until I get a good cake built up in the bowl, at that point I usually find myself reaching for the cleaners less and less. I also notice that pipes that tend to get hot when smoking get less hot with a good cake. Other than that, try to smoke slower.

If this doesn't work, I would look for a pipe expert to adjust the airway for you some..

Don't know what you mean by the bowl descending. Granted, a poor design can cause problems, but a hot wet smoker is more often the cause of low quality briar.