Hope to learn a few things here!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_smoke

Reaction score
Hello, I’m a Texas transplant that has lived in England for the past 20 years. I have been a pipe smoker for near enough 30 years. I started with a basket pipe from my local Tobacco Lane (Arlington, TX) filled with aromatics that were blended in shop. I have since amassed a small collection of pipes of varying shapes, from various manufacturers, and tend to select my pipe depending on the tobacco I will enjoy in it.
I have started to get my head around making my own pipes. As an engineer I have found myself absorbing countless hours on YouTube learning (as much as is possible through my phone screen). With the acquisition of a Colchester Bantam lathe I have now begun the journey into pipe making! I am not as interested in selling pipes as creating the perfect pipe for me.
The images are of my first pipe bowl from cheap Greek briar. I made the chamber bit myself (my own design) using tool steel off-cut I acquired from a machine shop near me. The draft hole is 4mm and the tenon hole is 8mm, to keep it simple. I did all of the drilling on a lathe (prior to the Bantam I used the Challenger at work). Lacking a French wheel or the like I used an angle grinder with a flap disc to get the basic shape of the stummel. After many minutes of sanding I achieved the piece you see here. Not as accurate as I wished but I am encouraged.

GQZY9314.JPGAAOS7572.JPG MFLR3672.JPG

Thank you for the welcome messages!
I have finished the hand cut stem and blended it into the stummel, filed and sanded until smooth. Ran a little buffing wheel to erase some scratches.
Not entirely what I was hoping for but the challenge for me was the attempt to keep symmetry. I’m definitely marking guide lines next time. I absolutely need more button practice. Its a mess.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 0
I was impatient and couldn’t wait to smoke it, despite the trial stem. I decided on PS Lux Navy Flake. I know the smoking characteristics very well and if there was something dodgy, I would know.
Apart from the draft hole being too big it actually smokes very well. Anyone know if there is an optimal diameter to shoot for?