Hopefully History will not repeat itself 24 years later.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time and a place for everything...

Guy comes in scared for his kid and we want to make it into some kinda bullshit post about right/wrong politics/religion etc

Knock it off and let it go...

Wish Mike and his family well and walk away from it..

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me. I don't even care if anyone thinks I'm an asshole..
Knock it off and pay an old friend that much respect.

Capo would kick all our asses for doing this in THIS thread.

Yo, Peeb. Time to take a shower & go to work, so quick & to-the-point.

I'm 100% supportive of & concerned about Mike's kid in the military. And PeeDee's. And everybody else's here too. I'd have 'em all back here in a New York Minute.

Maybe it's that I'm a feebleminded moralist, but I can't keep that concern for their wellbeing in a separate little category somewhere. It's part and parcel of the fact -- obvious to me -- that it's wrong and immoral that they're even there in the first place for us to have to worry about.

Same thing finally happened over 'Nam. It isn't until the fed-up common folk finally start the pot boiling over that anything other than bu$ine$$ a$ u$ual becomes a viable option on the table.

Bring 'em ALL home, I say.

Amen.

The rest of it was in response to allegations that there was some good reason why they should be there. There isn't one.

:face:

Yak":ye1d7jmm said:
The rest of it was in response to allegations that there was some good reason why they should be there. There isn't one.

patriotism, duty to country, a desire to succeed at something valuable. It isn't the soldiers who are questioned, they are there because they are soldiers. It is the leaders who must answer. But, those should be separate issues in the sense that one wouldn't want to muddy the philosophical water of morality as it pertains to the soldier, as happened during Nam. The soldier should not have to answer to the moral imperative put before the leader, just as the leader should not be able to hide behind the duty and valor of the soldier.

Bring the boys back home.

puros_bran":25z4asj9 said:

Guy comes in scared for his kid and we want to make it into some kinda bullshit post about right/wrong politics/religion etc

This.

I know I'm still relatively new, but isn't this precisely why we have "The Rubber Room" subforum? Not necessarily the original post, but definitely the debate that followed. Just my $.02

Edit: Just saw PBs bit about moving to the RR and back.

Mike,

Yes, thank you for your son's service. And thank you for raising a son who loves our country.

May our troops be kept safe while on duty and be proud of the years they dedicate to service.

OK guys. Yes it could have been a thread where 27 different people respond "Yeah!", or "Nice pipe!", or whatever. There are other forums for that, places where actual threads of conversation are hidden among a multitude of "Yup"s. What happens when we try to take a simple topic starter and expand on the original idea, where the conversation grows and takes on a life of it's own (you know, like actual conversation in real life) is it's sometimes succesful, sometimes a failure, and sometimes a situation where one guy says "Well F U pal!" and the next guy says "Yo momma mofo!!". Unfortunately, in this thread, where I beleive most everyone intended a respectful response, the respect due the original post got lost in the rhetoric. I appologize, for myself and for BoB. When we're so used to taking a cue from one topic and expanding upon it, it can be difficult to refrain when the situation dictates.

I wouldn't want this place to become a Yup forum, to lean towards political correctness for fear of stepping on toes (really, do we need another like that?). Hopegully we can realize that the idea is not to repress dialogue, but to restrain from inappropriate timing.

Perhaps a Sandbox, a "Yo Mama!" sticky thread in the Rubber Room where grievances can be aired when they would be better not aired In Medias Res. A simple "Take it to the sandbox boys!" could help keep threads clean and keep them from constantly being moved to the rubber room.

J Soshae":nvmvg6nw said:
Mike,

Yes, thank you for your son's service. And thank you for raising a son who loves our country.

May our troops be kept safe while on duty and be proud of the years they dedicate to service.
What he said. :!:

Mike - I hope your son returns home safe. My sister did one tour as a Marine, and then a tour as an Army Reservist, both in Iraq. It was very nerve wracking for all of us, and I know the joy of having your family back together again. Wishing you all good things, as to your son. My father served in the Air Force for 27 years, and I grew up a midst the Reagan - Bush era military of the 80s and 90s.

Those men and women, while there are plenty of other incentives for joining, want to serve their country. Hell I did, and couldn't get in because of medical issues. Remembering my father come home every day in uniform, I know that there is no greater pride a man or woman can bear, than having worn the uniform for his country.

Best wishes.

I've thought for twelve hours or so what I wanted to contribute to this.

The original poster had a valid post, and said his bit, controversial or not.

There's very few places in the "real world" or on the Internet that are good places. I like coming here to talk about pipes, hang out with folks and relax. It isn't shallow but it's not overly complex, and it's informative without being convoluted and overly opinionated. It's friendly. I like that. Otherwise, there's a place called the Rubber Room, a big, accommodating space if I (or others) want (and choose) to get hackles raised, foster chaos, have a discussion and talk controversy. I like these few nice places, especially those with provisions like the Rubber Room in place, and when the social organization system, there for a good reason, gets ignored, I get pissy.

A member, plenty smart, one who knows the rules and here longer than I, gave into his own impulses and drives (whatever they may be), should have realized this wasn't the place to do this from the start.

If me, the younger, less-seasoned, perhaps even less intelligent member gets this, it can't be a hard concept to follow. I shouldn't even be pointing it out.

Yep, things happen, too late now, people got upset, things will undoubtedly (and should) be forgiven--and I don't blame innocent bystanders who got in the way, they got tricked into thinking this was a lightweight conversation because it was out of its proper place. I think it would be great to move this whole mess to the Rubber Room so it isn't a stain on my favorite digital hang out, one that I assure other non-members is a great place to be.

Just my voice, doing my part to "self moderate." Carry on, Brothers.

There is a pipe forum on which, if you make a political or religious statement, you are banned. At the other extreme there is Bob whereon you can make any of these statements, even put forth elaborate arguments, and as long as you're civil, you're fine. At a midpoint is perhaps making soft statements. But who is to enforce what is a hard or soft, and by what standard? This would be impossible to regulate.

For all the dangers that Bob's policies allow the members, certainly I would think that the current policy is best.

Go ahead and say Smokers Forums, everyone knows what a veiled reference to a draconian pipe forum means. Although I can understand current members there not wanting to draw the ire of "The Team." Everyone knows that they glean other forums to keep the masses in check.

I may just be truly wierd. But, for years, I've tried to imagine this place & the people here transported back in time to 1775, with everybody refusing to acknowledge the developments going down around them, and what they were shaping up to.

And I can't do it. It doesn't compute.

Mr_Jeff":mfla8hf4 said:
Go ahead and say Smokers Forums.
I was actually referring to pipes.org, where every single post had to be approved by Melvin. SF is cool, just a different flavor. FWIW, there are other places that operate with looser ground rules than this place, beleive it or not.

I don't think there should be a free-for-all bullcrap fest in the main portion of BoB.

I don't think there should be a police-state enforcement of BoB.

I stand by what I said earlier. This thread was quickly approaching, if not crossing, the line, a line simply divided between the place where this belongs and everywhere else on the site, unless I really don't get it.

That's the real development I'm acknowledging, in 2012, here on this website.

If the horse is led to water, and he doesn't drink, throwing buckets in his face will not quench his thirst either. Believe me, I've been the "horse" here a few times, the bucket thrower, and I've both drank the rejected "water." Good times--when sought out.

And I'm not moving it...

The best way to handle it if you think it makes us all look retarded, which it does, is to do like I said...
Wish Mike and his well, then let it go, ... it's not hard..

Here, let me show yall how...

'Hey Mike, I wish you and yours well, you are in my thoughts and prayers.. ' then shhhhhhhhhhhh. see easy.

No need to try to get the last word in, no need to try and prove the last vital point.. just shhhhhhhhhhhh.

puros_bran":759yc114 said:

Wish Mike and his family well and walk away from it..

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me. I don't even care if anyone thinks I'm an asshole..
Knock it off and pay an old friend that much respect.

Capo would kick all our asses for doing this in THIS thread.
AMEN to that.

PB: Not gentlemanly to just delete a man's reasonable post. I continue to be repulsed by this thread. It is in my estimation a mistake not to move or better delete this entire forum. Shushing rational messages and permitting irrational ones will cause intelligent men to reconsider further participation on BoB. I believe the majority of Brothers would agree with my sincere assessment here.
This is a disservice to our internet community. Airborne was offended. Simple Man deleted his posts, apparently he was offended. I too am offended. Those who serve in our military are to be commended. Those who have served deserve our everlasting appreciation. Those who now serve overseas have our best hope of returning safely. Everything else in this thread is trash. It belongs in the can.

Not to sound like an ass to a man I consider a friend..

But I didn't ask you how to run the board.