Horse and Radish?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that one of Canada's big exports is horse meat to the frenchies, and that could become a a good export for the US if said laws were passed

You want fries with that McClydesdale ? NEIGH.

posted by chef anthony bourdain this was aninteresting article in response to the horse meat thing. Though it doesn't have the nicest things to say about the thoroughbread racing circuit, it makes a very good poinct regarding our perceptions of farm animals, particularly pigs. I also agree with the point that self frespecting chefs would never use inferior product out of respect for their guests and their craft. The article doesn't deal with a "slippery slope " issue of substiution of one meat without being open and honest with the consumer; we have all heard legends of ethnic restaurants with a basement full of cats, approvedhorsemeat would be a much easier switcheroo, but at least we would be gettng inspected meat instead of sylvester and garfield.

Some participants of the Thoroughbred industry need to be incarcerated.. I won't delve into that.

What I will say is by and large they are the best treated horses on the planet. Bathed daily, inspected by vets at least weekly but often daily, properly fed and well exercised. They spend the majority of their life either in extremely clean stables or on well maintained farms. Would I eat one? Not knowingly. Even if I were to knowingly eat horse meat I think I'd choose a more lax variety. Thoroughbred would have to be tough.

I wouldnt be able to eat a horse under normal curcumstances, would be like eating a dog just couldnt do it.