House of Calabash S. Books Seven of Nine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneredtree

Reaction score
Seven of Nine was purchased at the House of Calabash on a trip through Oregon last summer. I had too many tins open so it was  jarred for the year. It is the 4th Va that I have tried and the most enjoyable.

MLGOLu2l.jpg

The pipe used has been dedicated to virginias . It is a Rhodesian with a conical chamber. I smoke outside at
altitude of 1450 ft. The day was mild. Temperature 90 F, 30% RH. No wind.

]
HdLZ6zjl.jpg

The ribbon cut tobacc is mostly light brown mixed with blond and specks of black. The tin note has hints of plum and moved grass. Moisture out of the jar was good and no drying was necessary. It packed well using the three step method.

The char light was typical of VA. The true light gave a light, smooth, tobacco taste with no trace of PG that are experienced with most tobaccos these days.

The first third of the bowl was light and sweet with a slight buttery mouth feel. Retrohaleing  was nice with no burning sensation.

The second third continued the smoothness and citrus notes came forward. Retrohaleing had more flavor this time but still no nasal burn.

The last third had a sweetness and hints of melon. Retrohaleing had a little sting to it but was still pleasant.

It took four relights until the last 1/10  when the dottle was mixed and relight a few times.

Three times moisture was felt and a pipe cleaner was used to dry out the shank. I think that some drying is a good idea, Not much though.

I really like the clean no PG free taste of this tobacco.  Seven of Nine is going to be a regular with me and I think anyone  who likes Virginias or would like to try one should get a few ounces.

Very nice review. Do they have a web site?

AJ

Thanks AJ. I wish I had Kyle's talent for tasting and writing.

Their web site has been hacked and is useless. But you can call them at 503 387 5589.

Happy puffing.

Hi AJ. Did you get ahold of House of Calabash?

After reading the comments about Dunhill Flake, I had better pop my tin and see how it compares.

So many blends so little time. :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :flower: 

What a great review, thank you for sharing your experience, comes across as a thoroughly delightful blend. :heart: