How do y'all store your tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjwmsu

Reaction score
I have some mason jars. Any thing to it other than pouring it in and screwing on the lid?

Yep. Same here. Though I do have a large stash of samples in a tupperware with a small humidifier. I haven't checked on that baccy in a while...maybe I should.

I remember reading on SmokersForums about people who were putting their jars into the oven to seal the jar shut so that it is preserved better. But in my opinion, that's not a great idea. The heat would kill any organisms that are essential to the aging process, and the heat may dry your tobacco out before it has a chance to seal the lid. I just leave it shut, and the fermentation process will vacuum the lid onto the jar.

I have 150-200 jars, Mason Ball, jelly , pickle, spagetti et al, put the tabac in, make sure seal is tight, label & date, simple dont f234 itup! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

At first, I would boil the jar, lid, and ring, and then put the room temperature tobacco in, like normal canning. The heat of the jar makes it seal, and the tobacco isn't stoved. Then, I just started stuffing it at room temp and making sure the lid is tight because trying to keep a batch of jars from cooling too much while stuffing was getting tiresome. I don't know if it matters.

Stainless steel mason jars, about 8" in diameter, $10 a pop. Just put the thing in, tin and all. That's it. Works great.

I have small mason jars I bought from Meijer.

I wash them in hot water with a little dish soap, lids and all.

I let them completely dry out (air dry).

I buy the tobacco in bulk (cheaper).

I fill the jar up about 2/3 of the way, or put in as many flakes as I can.

I label it with a nice labelmaker, putting the blend and the month - year of the tobacco on it.

Then, it goes to sit in my basement, awaiting that unforetold day when I will crack it open and bask in the bliss that is aged pipe tobacco.

Hoosier made a point I meant to add: if you jar tobacco, a labeler is very valuable and relatively cheap. In fact I misplaced mine, and have yet to store tobacco until it shows up, but I may just purchase another one.