how do you prep your jars?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I have some mason jars I will be adding tobacco to. My question is how do you prep them? Do you just rinse them out with distilled water? Do you wash with soap and water? Do you boil them like in canning?

If they were used for something other than tobacco I wash them thoroughly with soap and hot water. I also use a new lid and inspect the ring to make sure it's in good shape.

However, I typically never mix my tobacco jars with any that I have purposed for food, and if I am making a bulk tobacco purchase, I'll almost always buy a flat of jars specifically for that purchase.

Just wash them with soap and water, rinse with some very hot water yo make sure all of the soap residue is gone, and make sure they are completely dry. I don't trust them being clean from the store.

Simple man is prob right. Can't trust the store. I like to air mine out for a few days, then a quick soap and hot water bath.

I wash mine in the dishwasher on the "High Temp Scrub/Sanitize" setting. After drying in the washer, I let them air dry. After loading them up with 'baccy, I lightly moisten the rubber sealing ring with distilled water. Then seal'em up. Works for me ;) FTRPLT

When I get cases of Mason jars I wait till it is a full moon and take them and arrainge them centered in my back yard in rows alligned with the points of the compass. I then have the shaman and 20 other members of an Arizona Apache tribe gather round the jars and do a ritual dance and get all the demons out of the jars. After this they take the jars and move them back to an 1890 wooden Brut champagne box to be stored under ground for at least 6 months before I dig them up and put the 'baccy in them. This takes all that industrial mojo out of them to help the 'baccy age properly. :twisted: :twisted: If this sounds a bit excessive for ya, you can always just wash 'em out with hot, hot soap and water, rinse well, let dry then fill !! :twisted: :twisted:

ftrplt":8hxoeapm said:
I wash mine in the dishwasher on the "High Temp Scrub/Sanitize" setting. After drying in the washer, I let them air dry. After loading them up with 'baccy, I lightly moisten the rubber sealing ring with distilled water. Then seal'em up. Works for me ;) FTRPLT

This is pretty much what I do, though I never use detergent - just the hottest water the machine can spit out.

I will occasionally use unscented dish soap and wash by hand if the blend going in is significantly different than the blend that was there before (not interested in aging a VaPer in a jar that might have some lingering note from a Lat Bomb). I still do the hot water/no detergent thing afterwards though, just to make sure any soap residue is blasted away.

Dishwasher (jars only). I bring 'em home, throw 'em in, put 'em back together in box.

If you use any "jet dry" stuff do not uuse the dish washer. Wash by hand. The jet dry crap leaves a film.

monbla256":m7siq490 said:
When I get cases of Mason jars I wait till it is a full moon and take them and arrainge them centered in my back yard in rows alligned with the points of the compass. I then have the shaman and 20 other members of an Arizona Apache tribe gather round the jars and do a ritual dance and get all the demons out of the jars. After this they take the jars and move them back to an 1890 wooden Brut champagne box to be stored under ground for at least 6 months before I dig them up and put the 'baccy in them. This takes all that industrial mojo out of them to help the 'baccy age properly. :twisted: :twisted:  If this sounds a bit excessive for ya, you can always just wash 'em out with hot, hot soap and water, rinse well, let dry then fill !! :twisted: :twisted:
Are the lids open during the exorcism, or can the demons move through glass like pesky, non-polar molecules through a plastic baggie?

Ah, just spit in'em and wipe it out with your T-shirt and you'll be good to go.
Screw all that sanitizing crap. Hell the tobacco's going to burn at around 750 degrees anyway, that'll kill just about anything. ;)

These steps are very important for all jars before you fill them with tobacco:

* Unscrew the lid.

* Insert (or remove) desired tobacco.

* Don't forget to put the lid back on and twist it tightly closed.

Otherwise Monbla and Cart are on to something.

8)

New jars I don't do anything with other than filling them with tobacco. If I want to reuse jars, I run them through the dishwasher BY THEMSELVES (I don't want any food residue) and with no detergent. I only do this if I'm putting a different tobacco in the jar, though--otherwise I just refill.

I'm pretty simple here-

New jars go right into use with no treatment.

Used jars go into the dishwasher. Let them dry completely until the next day before refilling. Make sure the lid seals are sound. Any rings that have oxidation and are rough get thrown out.

This has worked for me for a good few years.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":daiwrjfd said:
I'm pretty simple here-

New jars go right into use with no treatment.

Used jars go into the dishwasher. Let them dry completely until the next day before refilling. Make sure the lid seals are sound. Any rings that have oxidation and are rough get thrown out.

This has worked for me for a good few years.

Cheers,

RR
Yea, until you are diagnosed with masonjaritis. ;)