How do you select a new pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshot

Reaction score
Friends,
I have been smoking pipes on and off for about 25 years and in that time have purchased many different pipes from many different pipe makers. I have at times bought pipes on impulse only to realize later that they really didn't fit in my rotation. After many "mistakes" and spending countless dollars I have learned what I like in a pipe and was wondering what factors you may consider when purchasing a new pipe?

Here is what I consider not in any particular order...
1. Visual Appeal - It must catch my eye, I love classic looking pipes!
- Shape - I normally lean towards billiards in the straight variety but am also occasionally drawn to 1/2 bent pipes
- Size - I like pipes in the Dunhill size group 4 or 5 range
- Finish - A great sandblast is my most favorite finish then smooth if the grain is decent and last of all rusticated. I love to feel the texture of a sandblast or rusticated pipe in my hand while smoking.
2. Weight - I don't purchase a pipe if it feels heavy, the lighter the better as I like to clench while smoking.
3. Brand - Preferably from a reputable pipe maker but I primarily only look at Cavicchi and Castello nowadays although I do own and enjoy many other excellent brands.
4. Bit - Lucite or Vulcanite - Lucite only for me as I am not willing to deal with oxidization any more. Lucite does not bother me in being too brittle as I have heard other smokers comment that they like the comfort of vulcanite.
5. Finished or Unfinshed bowl - I prefer unfinished bowls so I can see what the inside of the bowl looks like and to build my own cake not on top of a pre-carbonized bowl.
6. Does it pass the pipe cleaner test? Must pass the test for me to purchase!
7. Is the pipe drilled dead center and to the bottom of the bowl? - A must for me!
6. Price - Obviously this one depends on all of the above but I tend to look in the under $400 range (normally much less). I decided years ago that I would prefer to have fewer pipes of better quality and great smokers rather than many pipes of lesser quality. If I don't smoke a pipe for whatever reason I will let it go.

So there you go... I'm not saying that I am an expert but this is what I have learned from my own experience about what I prefer and with this have decreased the number of "mistakes" I have made which has in turn increased my enjoyment of the hobby.

How about you? I would love to hear your comments!

I don't choose them; they choose me. :lol:

BTW, I've only bought one pipe in person,
so I've never subjected them to pipe cleaner testing.

My criteria are much like yours. Since my rule is "Don't buy what you won't smoke--and if you do, don't keep it", I am usually only thinking of how much enjoyment the pipe promises. Of course, it needs to catch my eye before anything else, but these days, after collecting for almost 30 years, the pipes that catch my eye are normally ones that do so because they promise enjoyment.

I like classic shapes, or shapes that are slight variations on classics. I prefer sandblasted pipes, usually darkly stained. I favor classic Brit pipes, but also like Charatan and Sasieni, and, of late, Randy Wiley. I'm a big guy and so I like a pipe of goodly size, otherwise I look like I have a bubble pipe in my mouth.

I usually have a detailed list much like you, Cut. Visual appeal, briar quality, drilling and mechanics, mouthpiece detail all have to pass muster.

But occassionally I buy "blind" just based on reputation if I see a good deal. I'd buy a Mastro de Paja or a Wiley without inspecting them, for example, but not a Peterson.

Much like Cutshot says. The biggie for me being "catch my eye." I prefer the classic English shapes but have a nice collection of other shapes. Something must "catch my eye!!" I've passed on several DH "birth year" pipes because I didn't care for the shape; they just didn't "do" anything for me. FTRPLT

ftrplt":kbkqk8gw said:
I've passed on several DH "birth year" pipes because I didn't care for the shape; they just didn't "do" anything for me. FTRPLT
I didn't know Alfred Dunhill had already started making pipes then.

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Hey, if it wasn't for me, Alfred would still be trying to make gadgets for buggies and "motor" cars!!! Of course, when I tried to talk him into making Walnut pipe tobacco, he fired my a$$. Gave the recipe the recipe to John Middleton who was well known for taking anything for free!!!!! :santa: :lol!: FTRPLT

I'm sure I go through a mental checklist like you guys, but basically, I see if it catches my attention. Then I try to envision me smoking it. I either say, yep. Or no, not that one. The prior is uttered more than the latter...

I consider myself quite picky when it comes to pipes, but when I see one I like, I know it instantly. I tend to like less plain versions (for instance, Danish) takes on classic shapes. I like a tall bowl (love flakes), straight or maybe quarter bent. But there's exceptions to every rule, sometimes you see a pipe that just speaks to you, even if it doesn't fit your typical mold.

Last night I saw this and loved it. Something about the finish and shape just does it for me: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220523093051&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

The first consideration for me is shape and appeal. Next would be finish and then bowl size. Finally if all of those have passed muster then the final would be cost (which under todays economy would probably should be my first consideration).

I am all over the map. I'll obsess about a shape or style or brand so I'll get a couple. Then I'll move on to something else completely and usually trade/give away my old obsession and start on my new one. I have about half of the pipes I did around a year ago but I think I may have found a new shape and brand that I want to start collecting heavily... Well right now that is. :lol:

For me it's the same as finding a woman: aesthetics, shape, feel, weight, and will they promise me a lifetime of enjoyment.

If so, then 'I do'.

:farao:

Amenhotep04":wyvv2gv0 said:
For me it's the same as finding a woman: aesthetics, shape, feel, weight, and will they promise me a lifetime of enjoyment.

If so, then 'I do'.

:farao:
And you only find out they gurgle afterwards?
icon_lol.gif

The pipes I buy fall into two categories. 1) Pure smokers. These are my work pipes. If lost or damaged they can be easily replaced. Almost all of my Stanwells fall into this category and I buy any that appeal to me. I have roughly 50 of these. Their only requirement is that they be light weight and ideally have oxidation free lucite stems. I also find that most Stans have a very wide draft hole easily passing an absorbent cleaner with ease.

2) Collectors pieces. I greatly admire artisan made pipes and view them as little sculptures. These pipes are smoked carefully and at home only. My main focus here are uber high grade Danish, German and American pipes. I'm a fairly ravenous colletor of the work of Kurt Balleby, JT Cooke, Mike Parks and others. Due to their price tags I have to view these differently than my yard pipes. I treat them far better as someday I may wish to sell or trade them off. They're a sort investment in their own little way. For these I usually just buy any appealing pieces that fit into my collection well. Last weekend I bought a smooth tao with a bakelite stem. It's a brand that I've wanted to own for sometime. In the future I hope to aquire one pipe from Nanna, Sixten and lars Ivarrson....