How does the quality of a pipe work?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
Hey guys, a little thing I'm having a problem getting my head round; pipes by different makers do seem to share various characteristics in shape and stem, but what actually provides the difference in smoke? I can only think its to do with the quality of briar used, or the airhole and how its connected to the shank. Can anyone enlighten me?

PipedJimmy":cennplak said:
Hey guys, a little thing I'm having a problem getting my head round; pipes by different makers do seem to share various characteristics in shape and stem, but what actually provides the difference in smoke? I can only think its to do with the quality of briar used, or the airhole and how its connected to the shank. Can anyone enlighten me?
Jimmy, this is what I believe. Smoking characteristics are affected by the quality of the briar, drilling, and engineering.

Really, most of us look for grain and such, but a good piece of briar is a good piece of briar regardless of whether its pretty or not.

Hopefully, others can give you a more detailed answer.

Jimmy, there are all kinds of parameters that a guy can play with, and most makers have their own set of ideals. Chamber depth, chamber width, and the overall shape of the chamber (cylindrical or conical), airway diameter, the joint between the stem and the shank, the airway in the stem, shape of the button, shape of the slot inside the button. All will radically change how a pipe functions.

Briar from different regions is said to taste different, and some makers treat their briar with oils (or oil removers) for some kind of special distinction.

Pipes do differ, and as long as the basic mechanics are done well, it will smoke well. However, personal technique may mean that some smokers prefer a smaller airway, or a wide bowl, or whatever.

I think there's tons of pipes out there that baring the shape of the bit in the mouth, smokers could not tell what pipe it was.

That said, I treat all my briar in a secret mystical gravy that was passed to me in a dream by the Great Omnipotent, uh, Eugene, God of all Pipey Wonderousness, and you should buy one right away because it will be totally better than anything you ever tried. :twisted:

I think I bought the last bottle on E-bay some time ago ... :cheers:

A whole BOTTLE of secret, mystical gravy? Damn. How'd I miss that?

Another thing I didn't mention is that really good pipes have really good stems. If, for example, you look at Kurt Huhn's photo essay on hand cutting a stem (pipemakersforum.com), you will realize that most of your pipes are sub-ideal both in terms of material and in terms of function. I recently re-worked one of my Peterson stems into something that a) had a decent diameter for the size of the pipe and b) had a button that didn't hurt my jaw after 2 minutes. Pipe works better already.

Actually, I just remembered something. I forgot what pipe started me on what I consider my high grade collection. I established a dialogue with the artist, and quickly realized that what was making such a difference was the stem.

These pipes had handcut stems. I've devoloped a preference for cumberland or ebonite, which high end artisans cut from rods.

I hope this helps.

Any artisans around?

Rad you are needed in the lobby...

Thanks very much guys. I've got five pipes in my collection and none of which cost above 40 pounds (about 64 bucks), the two which nearly hit the mark, cost-wise, are a Peterson Killarney B10 and an unfinished Savinelli, both of which smoke fairly well, but for some reason lol probably linked to human nature, I've got my sights set on a more expensive pipe once I start a new job. What kind of pipes should I be looking for? I don't want to pay through my teeth, more just, the next level up standard-wise.

Depending on what you (and only you) determine is a fair market price for a pipe, I'd say the hardest market to beat is Italian makers. There are several 'stand out' artisans whose work is functional, beautiful and great value, either in new or estate condition.

Ardor, Viprati, Don Carlos, leading the field (for me at least). While each of these 'brands' command a moderate price when new, they can often be found in nearly perfect estate conditions for less than 1/2 of the original price, making them very fine candidates for my pipe rack. I would say that in the non-artisan or 'factory pipe' category, Peterson, Savinelli and Stanwell are excellent value for money.

I'd also give consideration to estate Ben Wade pipes, I know they aren't very popular on pipe boards, but I've owned many over the years, all excellent!

YMMV

Agree w/ kilted. The mid grade Italians are tough to beat for value. Mastro de Paja gets my nod as best all around value in pipes right now.

Jimmy, if you're interested, and not in a rush, we could talk about a very reasonably priced custom pipe for you. I can absolutely guarantee the smoking properties. I don't charge what the big boys charge cuz I haven't been in the game long enough to warrant that, but I reckon I could make you pretty happy. Shoot me a PM if you like. No commitment, no pressure. It's hobby stuff for me.

hornofEldin007.jpg

A wise and now retired pipes dealer once told me that anything a customer pays over $300.00 is more less payment for a pipemaker's reputation. I'm not sure I "buy into this" or not but it's food for thought.

The bottom line though is time. An uber highgrade pipe will have a handmade stem. Crafting it can be every bit as time consuming as carving the bowl itself. Figure 3-4 hours extra at the very least. Of course the high quality German ebonite rods that most makers use to make them are also quite expensive. If smooth an uber highgrade will likely have killer grain. I would bet one in every 1,000 blocks will have that jaw dropping straight grain. Well known and established makers have important and very long standing relationships with mills. They pay a premium to to be able to cherry pick the really great wood. Though unconfimed, I'd bet that a bribe is involved too. Additionally, that great block will likely cost the carver $80.00 or more. An average block falls in the $15-$20 range I've been told. All of the time and money involved here help jack the price up. Then ad the fact that as a seller a pipe carver can and will charge every bit as much as folks are willing to pay. If a certain brand is "the hot pipe of the moment" it will most certainly be priced accordingly.....

As far as I can tell, selling a pipe at 300 dollars would give me an hourly wage of about 2.50. :oops:

REALLY nice briar is expensive, and you can either buy it specially selected, or just buy a ton of briar and sort through for the awesome blocks. Excellent blocks are still fairly common. PERFECT blocks are not. Many a pipe gets rusticated at the last second when some treacherous pit shows up.

It does take extra time and some serious skill to really bring a pipe's shape into harmony with the briar, and a guy will pay more for it. Does it make the thing smoke better? No. But appreciated from the point of view of a craftsman, I certainly find more value in a good quality hand made than in any factory pipe.

Here are two examples of that "jaw dropping grain", The first is a Kurt Balleby 0. This pipe has insane cross grain and would retail for over two grand with Kurt's current pricing structure. The second is made by the late great Peter Hedgegaard. I totally forget the grade but it was his highest at the time of manufacture. It would have been over a thousand dollars when new. Neither have any washout 360% around the bowls. Both carvers just really lucked out that no fills popped up in their production. The smallest fill would have reliagted either to the trashbin....

EvenMorePipePics004.jpg

EvenMorePipePics003.jpg

NYPipeShowNewPipes002.jpg

Poor PipedJimmy, starts a thread on his modest budget, and all this happens :(

Hang in there PipedJimmy, humble pipes smoke just as well as these others :cheers:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

ha ha I know what you mean Kilted, those pipes look absolutely incredible, especially the 'Viprati', he produces some fantastic, I had to consider using this word but I think it's applicable, artwork, great shapes and design involved. However, I think that 'modest' is the right word, I think about $130 would be my absolute top price, I wouldn't allow myself anywhere near those other pipes lol not with the amount of smoking experience I have at least.

Thank you for your kind offer to craft a custom pipe, the notion certainly intrigues me, though I do wonder whether the above paragraph might put you off.

I'm thinking from the responses I should be looking for a middle of the road Peterson/ Savinelli/ Stanwell, my only concern is, with regards to 'Peterson' at least, if they produce a B10 in the Killarney range, what's the difference in quality when compared to the 'Rosslare' range, which is significantly (relatively), more expensive?

Thanks again guys lol hope you enjoyed looking at those wondeful pipes in the thread, things of beauty to be sure (please read last three words in an Irish accent).

Rosslares get better looking briar and I think a wax finish (shellac on the black blasts) and I think the killarneys are varnished rather than waxed, and will have less pretty grain and more fills. Rosslares also have an acrylic rather than a vulcanite stem.

A shape like the B10 should be a pretty easy pipe to manufacture well, so your chances of a good smoker are high.

Nothing puts me off except child molesters, Jimmy. So if you aren't a child molester, I'd be happy to make you a pipe just so I can say I've sold to the UK! :cheers:

Oh, and wife beaters. I'm not keen on wife beaters either.

Or Brussels Sprouts. They stink.

Actually, quite a few things put me off, now that I think of it.

I can vouch for the smoking quality of squatcha's work. Hell of a nice smoker. Like to take mine while walking through the woods with a rifle.

Ha ha! Alright, you got a deal, as soon as I come into some money which might take some time by the way lol, I will get in contact, thanks all for the info!

I don't really have a website, no. Generally what I do is talk to guys on various forums and do custom stuff, with a lot of interaction with the client. Other pipes I just sell in the selling sections of this and (mostly) other forums.

I've got a whole swack of pix I can send, but I really don't want to clutter up any of the forums I participate on with a ton of pipe pix. "There's that asshole Sasquatch trying to sell another pipe." Far prefer to participate here as "one of the boys" and I also just happen to make pipes. Guys like TexasOutlaw were kind enough to buy some earlier works and give me detailed feedback.

If you're game, shoot me an email - [email protected] and I can send you some photos, and we can have a chat.