How Frequently Can You Smoke A Single Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFox

Reaction score
Hey all, hopefully I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I'm completely new to pipe smoking and have a question regarding how often a single pipe can be smoked.

I've read that it's best to allow your pipe to rest for at least a day after smoking. Is this correct?

Also, since I'm new and don't yet have several pipes to rotate, would it be terrible if I used the same pipe daily, or even multiple bowls from the same pipe in the same day?

Thanks for any help!

For now I've only got a MM, so I'm not worried about ruining it, but am asking for when I start purchasing some briars.

Howdy Mrfox,

I'm sort of new myself, and I know that when I had my first and only Briar, I worried just like you.

I may be wrong here, but when you start with only 1 briar, whatcha gonna do ?
( you could get a few cobs , cheap, and they help to give others a rest)

But, I myself , was using one pipe a day, and smoking multiple bowls, and there doesnt seem to be a problem with them . I do however, clean them every day, if Im smoking multiple bowls. and im talking about cleaning the bowl real good as well as running a pipe cleaner through the stem.

When I first started , and had only 2 or 3 pipes, I would put the bowl in front of a fan to speed up the air flow.

Also, and I still do it this way, I pull the stems off of the most used pipes while they rest, to allow more air into the briar, to help dry them out.

But , these guys will have alot better advice I am sure. Thats just the way I did it, to get me by...
and my pipes dont have any sourness or weird tastes,

BTW Welcome aboard

I take a clean "rested" pipe in the morning and smoke 4 sometimes 5 bowls throughout the day without any problem. At the end of the week I clean all seven pipes and then take another seven pipes the following week....and so on. I have 31 pipes and I rotate through all of them each month. The more experienced you become you will probably want a longer smoke in a larger pipe so my recommendation is to purchase large rather than small bowl pipes. You can always load half a bowl in a larger pipe so if money is tight, fewer but large size pipes is the route to follow.

Eric, the guy who runs Tamp and Puff, experimented with smoking just one pipe for several months with just regular pipe cleaner cleaning. No problems apparently. I've tried it for about 6 weeks, also with no problems. Regular cleaning is the answer and the pipe will cope just fine.

I personally notice a taste difference even if I smoke the same tobacco out of the same pipe more than once a day. The first bowl is always the best. Since I have enough pipes I give them each a rest of 48 hours before lighting up again. I also make sure to clean them after every use. I haven't had a pipe sour on me yet.

Great, another question with a series of different answers--hope we don't all confuse you, MrFox.

Here's my two cents:

I smoke said pipe. I lightly dust out the bowl. I let the pipe rest/air out (intact, stem on, bowl down) for at least a day. I clean the pipe by taking apart the stem, very lightly damp pipe cleaner swab, put them back together, dry for another day. Then they're ready to go.

Some people don't do a lot of these steps. I do, because I like clean pipes. I also don't get sour pipes. This routine gets me by smoking my favorites about once a day (depending on blend) and occasionally rotating in other ones. I bring up the cleaning method because it is a part of rotating the pipes. Dirty pipes dry, clean ones wait to be chosen, and this naturally gives a day or so for a good rest.

I know other guys that smoke the same pipe, day after day, and they claim it's just fine. I, too, notice a difference, especially in cobs--cobs are like sponges and I give them an extra day to dry out. Luckily, in northern Nevada, I have plenty of "dry."

Dusty, you might want to reconsider keeping the stems apart from the shanks as you dry the pipes if they're briar, or you might have too-loose or too-tight stem problems down the road--especially if you're taking them apart while they're warm and/or moist. Cobs are likely fine, though.

8)

A lot of the amswer to your question would be predicated by the TYPE of tobacco blend/mixture you smoke. If you are an Over The Counter, ie drugstore pouch Arometric blend smoker, you may find they smoke with substantialy more moisture than say one of the tinned Virginia or "English/Balkan" blends and as such the briar would need more time to dissapate this moisture. If all you have is one briar and do smoke a "wet smoking" blend/mixture, I would NOT smoke it more than once a day, giving it at least 24 hours to "dry" out. Even if you did this, and cleaned it thoroughly each time, I would not go more than 3 days this way, then give it at least 3 more to thoroughly "dry out" before smoking again. This all can and will change as you add more briar pipes and can begin a "rotation" process which will allow your pipes to stay dry and smoke well for you. All this being said, you CAN just smoke one pipe only, many times a day as was done by many folks years ago, but it will have some effect on the "percieved" quality of pleasure depending on your own "tastes".
If at all possible, you mght want to add more briars to your collection as you are able and begin a sort of "rotation" to assist in your smoking pleasure :p

For the record, my one pipe a day, all day, goes with the fact that I'm an exclusively English/Balkan smoker. Never a wet pipe, no goop or dottle. I smoke to the very bottom leaving nothing more than dry grey ash. I never "clean" the inside of the bowl....only use a senior reamer to maintain a thin and even cake. A pipe cleaner dipped in brandy or vodka swabs out the stem and shank and then I run a length of wire hanger through the shank to remove any tobacco flake or pipe cleaner fluff that may be lodged in there. To me smoking is the pleasure and cleaning is a chore. I place more effort and give greater attention to what's pleasurable.

LOL, OK, I better re -itterate.

I dry most of my pipes , stem off.
I DONT do that with pipes that have tight stems, Kyles right, I am sure the wood could swell, and the stem would never fit back in.
Oh and I never pull stems while the pipe is still warm (My Pete systems I do) but I learned my lesson on a cheap briar thank goodness, anyhow, the stem did break off .

Yeah, dont follow my advice,., I'll just confuse you..These guys know better, they've been at it a while .

Hey Dusty: How do you shoe a horse without getting shit in your face and a hoof up your ass? With the increasing cost of gas we all might have to reconsider alternate methods of "transportation".

LOL,
That would be great for business LIPIPE!
2 wks ago I had a horse jump, and come down with the point of its hoof on my big toe, it swelled up somethin fierce, all purple etc etc,
then a week later, a different horse jumped, and came down flat. on the same toe

The second one hurt a hell of alot more!!!!

At my age,, and with over 180 head of "GOOD" horses with manners, I tend to refer the rank ones to the younger shoers. Or, if the owner will actually take responsibility for theyre horses manners and work with it, I'll work with it too, because theres a good end in sight..
But I dont take chances on the really bad ones..
Just ONE bad horse, could lay me up, and I could lose alot of good ones during the lay up.

Safety boots man.....suggest you get a pair. Much easier than getting new toes.

Steel-toe boots are heavy enough as is, without the waffle-stomp treads pickin' up mud and crap makin' 'em weigh 10 lbs per foot... :lol: There's a reason why cowboy boots work and haven't changed much. I like the idea more that horse owners should work their animals good rather than cause others the pain... kind of like kids, dogs, etc... gotta work to make 'em right.

8)

I use one pipe per day and will burn anywhere from 12 -15 bowls of OTC tobaccos in it,most PA,CH,SWR etc.
I allow my tobacco to dry,although most of the tubbed OTC's are not usually very damp. At the end of the day it gets cleaned. I keep about 20 pipes in rotation so they get plenty of "resting" time.

Stupendous advice, brothers. I was wondering the same myself re: "limits".

FWIW, I'm a fairly new pipe-guy and only have three briars to-date. Thus, they get plenty of frequent use. I also travel quite a bit and seem to take just one with me - so that one can have to do 3-4 days of multiple bowls per day. No problems so far (knock wood!).

Unlike some guys, I rather enjoy the cleaning process. There's something relaxing about it. Some tiny little piece of my world that I know I have some level of control over ;-) . I clean in the evening: separate the stem and pipe; cleaner through stem thoroughly; cleaner into bowl through stem hole; and a sweep around the inside of the bowl with the cleaner to loosen everything up. I tend to put the stem back into the bowl immediately thereafter - rather than keep them separated during drying (fwiw).

Doody

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'll definitely have to get at least 3-5 briars soon to get a nice rotation going. Hopefully I can get down into Raleigh this week and stop by the Pipe shop there: Pipes by George (Sorry, new members aren't allowed to post external links). I'll probably just have to rummage through the baskets or else I won't have any funds for more tobacco. :D

But at least now I know I don't have to be afraid of ruining a briar if I end up having to smoke it more often then is ideal for a few weeks until I can gather the funds to increase my collection.

MrFox":d135gt0r said:

I'll definitely have to get at least 3-5 briars soon to get a nice rotation going. Hopefully I can get down into Raleigh this week and stop by the Pipe shop there: Pipes by George (Sorry, new members aren't allowed to post external links). I'll probably just have to rummage through the baskets or else I won't have any funds for more tobacco. :D

But at least now I know I don't have to be afraid of ruining a briar if I end up having to smoke it more often then is ideal for a few weeks until I can gather the funds to increase my collection.
Something to consider on your pipe aquisition journey is what is available both at a B&M and on the internet. You could always go the Estate route as many here have and do. Or, if you would like to have new pipes, one of the oldest and still extant makers is Savanelli and they have many, many pipes in traditional shapes in several price points to fit a persons budget. I have personally smoked their products for many decades and found them to be GREAT value as far as a good pipe goes. Many of their pipes available in the $50.00 to $100.00 range are GREAT pipes and will serve you well for many, many decades. Peterson is another maker which has several price points to accomodate a person's budget as well and they also are a great pipe . Many B&Ms will do the old fashioned "lay-away" for regular customers and although it does not satisfy the "imediate gratification" as is wanted by many today, it is how I started aquiring many of the 80+ pipes i have now in my collection. Check out what you might like and take your time as hopefully this will not be just a "hobby" but a part of the rest of your life :p

monbla256":m8ca1v1p said:
MrFox":m8ca1v1p said:

Something to consider on your pipe aquisition journey is what is available both at a B&M and on the internet. You could always go the Estate route as many here have and do. Or, if you would like to have new pipes, one of the oldest and still extant makers is Savanelli and they have many, many pipes in traditional shapes in several price points to fit a persons budget. I have personally smoked their products for many decades and found them to be GREAT value as far as a good pipe goes. Many of their pipes available in the $50.00 to $100.00 range are GREAT pipes and will serve you well for many, many decades. Peterson is another maker which has several price points to accomodate a person's budget as well and they also are a great pipe . Many B&Ms will do the old fashioned "lay-away" for regular customers and although it does not satisfy the "imediate gratification" as is wanted by many today, it is how I started aquiring many of the 80+ pipes i have now in my collection. Check out what you might like and take your time as hopefully this will not be just a "hobby" but a part of the rest of your life :p

Oh, you guys are good!

Monbla suggesting estates!
No wonder I can't save any money!

:p :p :p

tech2576":hvoc0vp9 said:
Oh, you guys are good!

Monbla suggesting estates!
No wonder I can't save any money!

:p :p :p
I merley suggested Estates, YOU guys need to jump in there with details :twisted: