How long does a piezo lighter last??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isagar

Reaction score
The question above, can't find a proper answer anywhere on google.

Also I've been looking at Sarome's piezo lighter, namely the PSP and PSP3 series. On their website, it stats their 'number of ignition' is around 250-270 times. sarome.com/products/smokingarticles/piezo/psp.html
Does that mean after I light the lighter that amount of times, its as good as dead?
And does anyone have any experience with the Sarome brand?

That's a weird statement in their copy.

The issue isn't the technology as much as quality control by the manufacturer. Most originate these days from China and the quality there is all over the board.

All it is a little hammer striking quartz which deforms to generate electricity.

My longest lived lighter lasted a fair number of years and failed not for the ignition but the linkage to it failing.

I think current lighter longevity relates more to the valve mechanism in torch lighters -- which seems very high maintenance. Soft flames seem the best way to go with pipes. That's said with 20-20 hindsight.

I have a Colibri torch lighter that I have had since college (well over ten years now) and its still going strong.

I ordered a Colbri pipe lighter that died before I even had the chance to light a pipe with it. They did replace it for free, though, and the replacement has given me about 6 mos of service so far without any trouble.

Usually the piezoelectric ignition housing fails before the actual crystal/striker mechanisms do, but if they're built well, they could (potentially) last for decades.

They routinely fail (temporarily) at altitude, cursed up quite a storm when on the job and climbed up from about 5,000ft to 7,500ft and suddenly, with all the views, a perfect rock, a pipe...and no working lighter. Had no idea what happened until I got back to base camp (fortunately, at that time, a cheap motel) and it started working again. Did some research, and now I stick with flint lighters when climbing about outdoors.

8)

Thanks for the info Kyle. I have not heard of that failure mode. Since I spend time at altitude, Matches are a good idea. Zippos dry out to fast.

:drunken:

Right now, I'm just really curious regarding the 'No. of ignition' figure on Sarome's website.
I mean to advertise such a number to begin with is just silly. Not to mention the figure of 250-270 isn't high at all.

Assuming if I need 5 lights to smoke a bowl (including charring light), and I smoke 2 bowls a day. That means I'll go thru the 250 times ignition in 25 days. Totally absurd.