How long does tobacco last in a tin?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lupulus

Reaction score
I am still fairly new to pipe smoking, so I don't have an elaborate setup for tobacco storage like I have seen in some of the pictures here. So far I am keeping my Irish Oak, Eileen's Dream, and University Flake in the tins. I know that probably isn't the best storage space, but will it dry out horribly or go bad? Do I need to invest in some airtight containers immediately? The Irish Oak is over a month old and seems to be fine, except that it clumped pretty badly and I had to spend a few minutes breaking it apart. Thanks!

Depends on how fast you smoke it. At the very least, put the tins in a zip-lock bag. Long term, get yourself a case of Ball jars at Wallymart or elsewhere for about $10 or less for 12 jars, and take the tobacco out of the tins and into the jars. Good for a long time after that and will help with the aging of the tobacco being more air-tight.

Welcome and hope you enjoy your new hobby.

You'll find the round tins that kinda twist shut will keep the tobacco much fresher than the square or rectangular ones. Some, like Presbyterian, are so moist from the start you can keep it in a tin for a very long time. As Hunter said, mason jars are the best but don't forget to label them! The only ones I leave in tins are my favs like Escudo, Kingfisher and Solani ABF because I smoke them about every day, and even then I put them in plastic bags and tied with rubber bands.

you'll find what suits you best with time. enjyoy!

Good advice, thanks. I realized after I posted this that it should have been in The Tobacco Jar, oh well.

Falconer":88hl4vhc said:
The only ones I leave in tins are my favs like Escudo, Kingfisher and Solani ABF because I smoke them about every day,
So far these are my only tobaccos, so I don't quite have the problems of rotation or long term storage yet, though I would love to acquire them! :D

The Oak and Dream will keep for along time... They have a hefty dose of PG in them...
I don't know about ther University Flake, I've never had any.

I have a bag of Mac Baren cube that's been open at least 2 years.... Still wet...lol..
FWIW: Don't buy Mac Baren Cube regardless of how good they make it sound or you will be doing the same experiment as me...lol.

puros_bran":f42vmqu2 said:
I have a bag of Mac Baren cube that's been open at least 2 years.... Still wet...lol..
FWIW: Don't buy Mac Baren Cube regardless of how good they make it sound or you will be doing the same experiment as me...lol.
Same goes for McClelland's Frog Morton Blends.

The Frog is great after 2-6 weeks of rolling around a Peterbilt floorboard.