How long is too long? (for one bowl)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Confidence Cohen

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was running a few errands. In between home depot, wal-mart, dinner, and the sister's house, I had a huge bowl of FVF. I packed it before I left the house. Smoked 30 minutes or so and let it go out right before each stop. As I returned to my vehicle, I'd light it back up again.

It got me thinking about some of the pipe smoking "rules" to abide by. Only smoke out of a pipe once a day (to allow rest). Don't leave burned tobacco in the bowl or it will sour. So my question to you all is: "How long is too long to let your tobacco-filled pipe sit before you call it quits and move on to another?" Is there a limit?

I know that when I come back out and relight, it takes a few moments to get the crud taste out and tobaccy taste in. After those moments, I cannot really tell the difference.

Thoughts?

I do the same thing often. I was running errands today and smoked 4 full bowls in two different pipes, allowing the pipe to go out at stops when I couldn't carry it in with me.

My first bowl of the morning is often whatever I left in the bowl the night before. I wouldn't worry, just run a pipe cleaner to get any gunk out when your done. To get rid of the taste you allude to, stir up the ash and dump, THEN relight.

Yep, I do that all the time as well, many times I feel the relit smoke is better as the pipe has cooled and cuts back on tounge bite; I just run a pipe cleaner first to get the cooled juices out of the mouth piece else that's the first thing you'll taste. I've left it overnight as well, meaning to relight in the morning but sometimes end up dumping and picking up another pipe.

I do this all the time - when I'm interrupted, I'll put the pipe down & get back to it later - often 3 or 4 times before I finish up. No harm done I'm sure.

I agree. Not a problem unless it sits for two weeks. I keep a bowl packed in my truck and it typically goes through three or four days of intermintent puffing.

I rarely smoke pipes in one sitting, except on my off days. I've let them sit a few hours up to 2 days without any problems. I just dip a pipe cleaner in Bourbon an run it through the stem to sweeten it up and finish the bowl. :santa:

I'm in the minority here but as soon as the pipe is no longer warm, the countdown starts, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 minutes, the tobacco left in the bowl degrades.

Shopping trips of a half hour might work, but I doubt it; and anyway I don't smoke in the car. I have great leather seats, and the pitted condition of the cloth seats in my last car is enough to justify non-road smoking.

Smoking a bowl left, say, overnight, is not a possibility.

alfredo_buscatti":s0ix0y9x said:
Smoking a bowl left, say, overnight, is not a possibility.
I agree with Alfredo on this one. I try never to leave dottle in a bowl overnight. Cleaning my pipes before I go to bed at night is one of my last rituals of the day.