How many fly fishermen in the BoB?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems I never cast (HAH!) a post into this thread. Been fly fishing a few years.

I got some fly tying supplies last year and I would love to hear any tips. Feels like I need to sit down and learn from someone rather than watching YouTube. Steep learning curve!

gnossos":ap6cpioa said:
Seems I never cast (HAH!) a post into this thread.  Been fly fishing a few years.

I got some fly tying supplies last year and I would love to hear any tips.  Feels like I need to sit down and learn from someone rather than watching YouTube.  Steep learning curve!
well this is close to youtube I suppose, but I really rather like this fellows tutorials. Tight Lines Productions

Oh and I suppose the other advice I'd give is start with one pattern and tie a few dozen of them. You'll get better faster than if you try and tie something new each time you sit down at the vise. My 48th Bead Head Pheasant Tail looked a lot better than my first...

Thought I'd share the little shank wrapping job I did on my cob. Not sure what this one will catch, but I think it looks pretty good!

I've been at it for a couple of years now. Still getting used to the streams/lakes around my area. I learned mostly from watching videos and just practicing in the back yard. It's one of the best things i have taken up in the last few years, so peaceful. Getting a good spot, and knowing your area is pretty key. I have still yet to figure out where the adult trout migrate to in the river close by, not that catching a dozen small sized trout in a day isn't fun either :D .

Anyone around the mid-Ohio area care to share some of their spots ;) .

Ohio eh? My favorite spots (in N.E. Ohio at least) are farm ponds full of big, stupid, aggressive large mouth. Oh, and I hear there are some steelhead runs along the coast of lake Erie...

Bluefisher":hxyiq9uv said:
Ohio eh? My favorite spots (in N.E. Ohio at least) are farm ponds full of big, stupid, aggressive large mouth. Oh, and I hear there are some steelhead runs along the coast of lake Erie...
Thanks.

From what i understand, the runs from Erie are well known for their steelhead. Not sure I'm up for it yet... I'm only casting on a 6wt... and i hear a 7 or 8 is preferable.

I'm the son and grandson of avid fly-fishermen ... it's the only sort of fishing I've ever done, though with the exception of one outing about 7 or 8 years ago, it's been quite a long time since I've been out ... all my tackle is old stuff, dating back 40 years and more ... however, it is an enjoyable pastime and probably the only reason I don't engage more is really, a matter of convenience combined with having no one, since the passing of my dad, around me who fly fishes.

Yup, count me in. I used to work in the Highlands in Scotland as an outdoor professional so used to spend many nights of the year in a tent next to a wee scottish loch or river up in the hills. More for my own amusement in the long summer evenings, I invested in telescopic rod that I could conceal in my rucsac and from then on spent many glorious evenings catching wild brownies. For me it was more about being in the environment and making some great shapes with the cast which I consider an art form. It was unimportant if I caught anything or not.

Me too! Hence the name "flyguy". I enjoy all forms of fishing and am not an exclusive fly fisherman.

I used to fly fish and tie my own flies. I just don't have the time anymore. I might have to start making time though as my current move has landed me within walking distance to Spring Creek in PA. Very nice fishing.

Yup, fly fisherman here. Although I enjoy spinning etc. I do have to say that my most memorable catches have been on the fly.

I haven't fished at all much in the last few years for a number of reasons but I will again in retirement.

Living in southern Ontario along the Grand River gives nice opportunities to fish for browns and there's many other smaller creeks for brookies and 'bows. I hate going up along the rivers leading into the great lakes - far too crowded for me!

One of my favorite memories is sneaking my dad's "Fischer Compact" pipe and buying some Sail tobacco, wandering up the Eramosa River were the roadside fishermen wouldn't go and spending the morning catching brookies and smoking. It was great for keeping the blackflies at bay also!

I've been throwing the long rod (often to the consternation of my fishing buddies in the front of the boat) since the late 70's. Can't say I'm any good at it yet, but it sure is fun. I live in Iowa which has a fair put and take trout fishery, but right across the river is Wisconsin with a lot of naturally reproducing trout water. But my favorite fly fishing is on the small lakes in central Minnesota (the ones you drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle which you are willing to scratch up until the mud gets too deep and then drag the flat-bottom or the sport-boat the rest of the way) for bass in the 4-5 lb range.

The only fly rod I've ever purchased was a La Croix 9-wt that will tire you out in a couple hours. I've made a 7-wt, 6-wt, and a 4-wt. Most of my other equipment is from Cabella's bargain bin. I tie my own flies, very poorly, but they do catch fish. I just don't show them to people who can really tie.

I have been spending more time in the stream with a fly rod. However if I want to eat fish I head to a restaurant. The locale where the trout reside is one of my favorites. It is doubtful I will ever become a dry-fly fisherman, the skill isn't there. My choices are nymphs and streamers. It is my hope to enjoy catching some fish next year without attempting to swim while wearing waders.

Stinger

Only one in my family to use a long rod. Rest of them prefer to cast flys with spinning rod and clear "torpedo" bubbles, or just drag them on end of line behind the boat. It works and they do catch fish but, like Stick, I really enjoy the casting aspect of fly fishing. Not that my casting would ever be confused with the kind they did in "A river runs through it". More often, my casting has been compared to an old woman fighting off a swarm of bees with a broom handle, (and yes, most of my family reads way too much Patrick Mcmanus). But I do catch fish as well, even on flies I've tied myself which is particularly rewarding for me (and no, I am not interested in discussing the size of the average fishes brain in comparison to my own).