How many pipe cleaners?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djf1

Reaction score
So I have this "estate" bought for 20 bucks on ebay.Its one of those "impulse" purchases, this thing I have been cleaning and cleaning for almost a month! Rimming the cake was a PITA but most importantly getting rid of that foul smell from the previous mixture smoked in this pipe its almost impossible! 40+ pipe cleaners with Vodka, Denclean, Oxi bath and still the damn stem smells and comes out brown!! I mean come on! Honestly! How many pipe cleaners it will take to clean this up?

Time to pull out the big gun ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WdUO442HYIg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After watching the video, I am wondering how this "retort" system is used on "unwanted" animals and for what reason.

Also, wouldn't room temperature alcohol be okay? Then you wouldn't need to fuss with the fire or equipment? :?:

Slow Puffs":noyrmmb4 said:
After watching the video, I am wondering how this "retort" system is used on "unwanted" animals and for what reason.
Yeah that was interesting! But checking out their auctions this is what they said:
The Retort is owned and manufactured by the Sanctuary for Unwanted and Neglected Animal rescue S.U.N.A. All proceeds help pay Vet bills. Contribution reciept provided.

Shank brush with isopropyl alcohol. Then get the bristly cleaners, fold them, dip them in the alcohol, and continue getting the last of it. I´ve cleaned many a filthy pipe this way. In some cases it´ll take a few pipe cleaners, but that is what it takes sometimes.

Also for getting the real gunky stuff I use a length of coathanger I sawed off squarely and softened the edges slightly so it doesnt dig into the wood. It is handy for getting the tar that has built up in the shank on badly neglected estates.

Once the shank is clean and the bowl reamed and cleaned, fill the bowl with cotton balls. Drip the iso acohol into the cotton balls with an eyedropper until saturated but not overflowing. Let it soak for 24 hrs. Then remove and let pipe dry for a day or two. Just dont get the alcohol on the outside of the pipe because it´ll ruin the stain.

If you are just using absorbent pipe cleaners with vodka, you´ll still be cleaning this time next year.....

MisterE":k7kcivv2 said:
Shank brush with isopropyl alcohol. Then get the bristly cleaners, fold them, dip them in the alcohol, and continue getting the last of it. I´ve cleaned many a filthy pipe this way. In some cases it´ll take a few pipe cleaners, but that is what it takes sometimes.

Also for getting the real gunky stuff I use a length of coathanger I sawed off squarely and softened the edges slightly so it doesnt dig into the wood. It is handy for getting the tar that has built up in the shank on badly neglected estates.

Once the shank is clean and the bowl reamed and cleaned, fill the bowl with cotton balls. Drip the iso acohol into the cotton balls with an eyedropper until saturated but not overflowing. Let it soak for 24 hrs. Then remove and let pipe dry for a day or two. Just dont get the alcohol on the outside of the pipe because it´ll ruin the stain.

If you are just using absorbent pipe cleaners with vodka, you´ll still be cleaning this time next year.....
This has been my method as well, seems to deal with pretty much everything (including nasty Lakelands essences). Only thing I will add is that warming the pipe up some can help - either leave it on a windowsill for a couple of hours, or toss it in the oven ***ON A LOW HEAT*** for a few before getting in there with a shank brush.
I've also found that leaving an extra-fluffy cleaner in the shank whilst performing the alchohol treatment helps some; it comes out tarry and black, just like the cotton balls.

MisterE":2zwugvx5 said:

Thanks for the detailed tips. One question on the Iso alcohol. I have mixed feelings due to its chemical nature using it. Is there another substitute or my fears are unfounded?

djf1":kquukwik said:
MisterE":kquukwik said:

Thanks for the detailed tips. One question on the Iso alcohol. I have mixed feelings due to its chemical nature using it. Is there another substitute or my fears are unfounded?
Thats why you let it dry out for a day or two after. The alcohol itself evaporates very quickly. There will be some residual odor that will vanish the first smoke. Go for the 90% plus pure (the stuff they sell at the drugstore in the pharmacy) and it´ll evaporate even quicker. I think I said isopropyl in the previous post, and I meant denatured ethyl. Living in Mexico, I can't remember what the OTC pure alcohol you get at the drugstore is up there.

Be careful with denatured alcohols, make sure it's mixed with menthol and not other chemicals. Most are, though not all. Usually it is though. For those who care and my vast brain of (mostly) useless knowledge, denatured is pretty much ethanol but it's spiked with menthol so people can't drink it. I use it for backpacking with my little stove made out of a fancy feast can. :)

Regular ethyl alcohol or everclear is what I'd use--isopropyl is fractionally distillated from crude oil. I'd rather not have it anywhere near a pipe I plan on smoking!