How many tins or different tobacco's do you have working?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try not to have more than 5 open at a time.

I hope to get down below a dozen, but currently at 83 after receiving samples of 8 more G&H blends

Skip48":u9qhoq5x said:
Just wondering if I am doing something wrong with too many open or smoking on at one time. I keep them either in the tin with lid on if just a little left or I put most in a mason jag while smoking what's in the tin.

Dang I am having a hard time just asking this, LOL!

Do any of you just smoke one or two kinds at a time? Seems I can get a bunch working.

Skip

I see nothing wrong in any way, shape or form with having several flakes and blends in ones rotation.
The immense variety available to us in this modern age of internet sales adds so much to the smoking experience!

While I tend to focus on 3 or 4 specific tobacs in any given month, that focus is not limiting at all.
Having 10 different tobaccos open and in rotation at any given moment is the norm for me.

Great fun that way!

I've tried to bring the number of opens down & am currently sitting on 29. But there is a core of maybe 10 or so that see most of the action. And some the stuff - Irish Flake & 1792, for example - I just don't want to smoke & don't really want to throw away either. Maybe I need to send them off as samples to some poor unsuspecting fellow.

Never ever throw away pipe tobacco. That goes against core values and is contrary to our cultural, ethical, moral, and social smokers by-laws. The same applies to Scotch and Bourbon. You may get rid of your last girlfriend but never your pipe tobacco!

LIPIPE":vbo97es1 said:
Never ever throw away pipe tobacco. That goes against core values and is contrary to our cultural, ethical, moral, and social smokers by-laws. The same applies to Scotch and Bourbon. You may get rid of your last girlfriend but never your pipe tobacco!
This statement deserves to be a Signature..

As for me, still working off a few bulk blends from my local shop.
Lite English (My current fav)
English Long Cut
Count Pulaski

Great suggestion, taken and appreciated. Now I have a signature.

I don't have any tins open, it's all transferred into ball Jars!

I realized relatively early on that I couldn't resist opening new tins and trying new blends...jars were the only reasonable solution.

As far as Jars I'm working on:

Escudo
Reiner LFG
Chelsea Morning
Embarcadero
Red Rapparee
Presbyterian
Irish Flake
SG Full Va Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
SG Kendal Cream Flake
University Flake
McB Navy Flake
Solani ABF
Solani 660
Revelation
McC Orientals (1 & 6 I think currently)
Frog Morton
DH EMP
Orlik GS
C&D Sunday Picnic
C&D Exh. Rooster

I think that's most of it, but those are just tins I have opened at some point and currently have in jar. Doesn't count the various bulks and stuff I have received via numerous trades that may have originally come in tins but arrived to me sans tin.

Needless to say I need to expand my storage space sometime soon.

With so many jars of open tins on your shelf, how do you ever decide on what you are going to smoke. Such a broad selection would boggle my mind. Like being a poor man locked into the storeroom at the US mint at closing time.

LIPIPE":lrv273vv said:
With so many jars of open tins on your shelf, how do you ever decide on what you are going to smoke. Such a broad selection would boggle my mind. Like being a poor man locked into the storeroom at the US mint at closing time.
Haha!! The only difference is that the poor man can´t spend a dime of it where you can at least smoke the tobacco while you´re locked in there! :lol: :lol:

MisterE":p9xfiubg said:
LIPIPE":p9xfiubg said:
Haha!! The only difference is that the poor man can´t spend a dime of it where you can at least smoke the tobacco while you´re locked in there! :lol: :lol:
LOL
That's the attitude MisterE!

This is what I'm "locked into" at present

Lancers Slices
Sterling Balkan
Bow-Legged Bear
Briar Fox
Star of the East #066
Best Brown #2
Bright CR Flake
Dark Flake Scented
Scotch Mixture
Golden Sliced
Balkan Supreme
English Oriental Supreme
Luxury Twist Flake
Chocolate Flake
Full Virginia Flake

There are a few mornings when I need give extra thought to what I'll be enjoying that day, my mood at the moment generally susses the decision out though.

LIPIPE":4r0n2j7d said:

Haha...that's part of the fun of it. Some mornings it takes me a good 15 minutes staring at the shelf deciding what to smoke that day.

The other side of it is, I never feel like I don't have enough options!

So many wonderful choices. Here is what I currently have open:
FVF
MVF
BBF
Kendal Plug
Wessex BVF
Wessex CDF
H.V.
OGS
KCF
Stonehaven
Reiner LGF
Opening Night
AJ's VAper
Penzance
SL
Skiff Mixture
EMP
SG Balken Flake

oh.....yum!

Well, I guess I must confess to my brothers. My open tin shelf contains:

Balkan Sasieni
OGS
Wilderness
Nocturne
Thee Oaks Syrian
Shortcut to Mushrooms
1776 Bostonian
Penzance
An aromatic mix of about 10 McClellands Chocolate/moca/coffee/pastry blends all tumbled together in a pipe rack jar
Black Watch
Engine 99 with maduro cigar flakes added to the mix
Wall Street

Shall we say a man's heaven on earth can be found in my den. My scotch and bourbon are close and my recliner is always very comfortable.

Well, I guess I must confess to my brothers. My open tin shelf contains:

Balkan Sasieni
OGS
Wilderness
Nocturne
Thee Oaks Syrian
Shortcut to Mushrooms
1776 Bostonian
Penzance
An aromatic mix of about 10 McClellands Chocolate/moca/coffee/pastry blends all tumbled together in a pipe rack jar
Black Watch
Engine 99 with maduro cigar flakes added to the mix
Wall Street

Shall we say a man's heaven on earth can be found in my den. My scotch and bourbon are close and my recliner is always very comfortable.

peterson christmas/holiday

glp quiet nights

glp chelsea morning

mac baren mix flake

mac baren vanilla cream

camo

Changes all the time, but:

BIG Jar of Squadron Leader*
Jar of SG Balkan Flake
Jar of FVF
Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd
McC's Dark Star
GLP Cumberland
GLP Odyssey*
GLP Cairo

* indicates go to blends right now but that is certainly subject to change, my Escudo tins are starting to make noise in the cellar

Looks like 8-10 open blends is normative here, but we're a self-selected group of enthusiasts. I don't smoke a pipe to be regular, anyway :)