How often do you go to the doctor?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not counting my numerous visits to various doctors prior to back surgery, I get a physical once a year and usually another visit or two due to seasonal allergies.

Once a year for transplant followup, bloodwork twice a year for transplant and for diabetes. Too damed much! :twisted: 

Like Loco Pony, only if blood is exiting me quicker then I can slow it down and or there are 3 large gentlemen dragging me. 8) 

Annual check ups so far, knockknock. Plus I get the annual flu shot at the pharmacy in the mega supermarket.

Cartaphilus":421i46jr said:
Like Loco Pony, only if blood is exiting me quicker then I can slow it down and or there are 3 large gentlemen dragging me. 8) 
loco pony":421i46jr said:
When injured beyond my ability in first aid.
GeoffC":421i46jr said:
I do an annual 7 year visit :D 
All of the above - as infrequently as possible

chris":x490fkod said:
Cartaphilus":x490fkod said:
loco pony":x490fkod said:
When injured beyond my ability in first aid.
GeoffC":x490fkod said:
I do an annual 7 year visit :D 
All of the above - as infrequently as possible
Good to see your still around my friend, don't be such a stranger.8) 

Been about ten years, need to get a colonoscopy but I've been putting it off. Need to get on it , colon cancer runs in the family. Other than that I'm not a big fan of paying money to fix what ain't broke.

I don't want to sound like an alarmist but staying away from the doctor may not be the wisest thing. I would refuse to go to the doctor for years. Thought it a waste of time and money. Then came the time I had bronchial pneumonia and was force to go. While being treated for pneumonia they discovered I had a demon of a disease. Still being treated and lots of damage has been done. Things would have been a lot simpler had it been discovered a couple of years earlier and it could have been found with a few common lab tests. The price that I continue to pay for my stubbornness is extremely expensive. It's a constant battle everyday to survive. The major cost has been paid by my family in terms of the pain and emotional upheavals they endure every time there's a crisis. Hopefully every member here is in excellent health but there is a chance that some demon has made a home within your body. My advice is go to the doctor twice a year and have the usual labs run and take his advice for healthy living. Save your family some pain and grief. :) 

AJ

Excellent advice AJ, & I agree.

Ian - the worst thing about a colonoscopy is having to drink the Golytely. That's right, pronounced (Go lightly). :lol:  As if the whole procedure isn't humiliating enough.

With the medications I need to basically move around and actually do things I have a pain management contract and see my doctor every 30 days. Each visit he throws in a test for one thing or another. It's funny that people complain about having random urine tests. I actually have about 3 a year to prove I'm taking the medication and not selling it. :suspect: 

Craig

Twice a year...Lately I have been fighting a thing. Have gone a couple times a week for the past 4 months. Getting released Dec. 2nd to resume normality.:cheers: 

Every three months. Stroked out in 2006 and go back every three months for them to tell me I'm still alive. I find their assessment moderately reassuring.

Went today for a stress test, doctor said that the tests confirmed that I was an old, fat, healthy guy! Told him thanks and that I would see him again in about 5 years.

Though I'd like to thumb my nose at the entire profession, doctors, when used cautiously, aren't such a bad lot. No, I don't go very often because of the expense. I have to watch every cent. How else can I afford pipes, pipe tobacco and fine cigars?

If you're talkin' visiting your GP; I go when something hurts badly!!!!! I may see him once a year or 3-4 times a year. Just depends. Now, being a cancer survivor; I see my Urologist twice a year closely followed by my Oncologist a few days later. Dentist....I get my toothies cleaned four times a year by choice.
I will offer this bit of advice to the younger male  generation. Do get a physical every five yrs. or so. At some point after 40, start getting a PSA test to establish a base-line. If things seem out of whack, get thee to a Urologist and have a "finger wave" exam!! You may not like it (who does??), but it sure beats the hell out of hearing "Uh Oh!!" from your doctor!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

Once a year to the doc and dentist for me.
I agree the "scouring process" for the colonoscopy is the worst part!:bounce:

ftrplt":5p64vtv9 said:
Do get a physical every five yrs. or so. At some point after 40, start getting a PSA test to establish a base-line. If things seem out of whack, get thee to a Urologist and have a "finger wave" exam!! You may not like it (who does??), but it sure beats the hell out of hearing "Uh Oh!!" from your doctor!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT
In this day and age there's no reason not to get tested, caught early you've got a good chance of coming out fine. All they do is draw blood once a year. I get a Colonoscopy and a Upper GI endoscopy every two to three years. My grandparents died of stomach and colon cancer which puts me at high risk. No more drinking a gallon of disgusting liquid, a bunch of pills and some serious toilet time for two days. Then you're put in twilight so your out cold. Now in the old days you had to experience the whole thing, that would suck!

Craig