How should I evaluate a new carver's work?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapf

Reaction score
My local shop has started carrying pipes by a brand new carver. I really like 2 of the pipes, but I have a hard time spending more than I've ever spent on a pipe before on a brand new carver. What should I watch for besides drilled properly and passing a pipe cleaner. Both pipes look great, but I know that doesn't necesarily mean they will smoke great. I did find that one sold and the person reported it smoked well (not one I'm looking at). However one smoke doesn't tell the story always good or bad. It may be that I'll just have to take a chance or not, but if anyone has any insight on judging the quality other than looks please let me know.

From the looks, if his name was built up, the pipe would be at least twice the price. He is a local anesthesiologist who loves woodworking and decided to make pipes. He won't disclose the source of his briar and doesn't smoke himself.

No answer here from this ol' boy, but just a general comment related to the subject. I have always been a bit leery of where the new artisans are getting their briar. How good is it? I don't mean to cast doubt, I'm just saying I don't know. For half a century I've been hearing about how the really good briar is growing scarce. Makes a lad wonder.  :scratch:

I found this video educational as a noob, but who knows.

Shape, finish, drilling, shank, stem, etc.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKe0GXEiNjE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Richard Burley":flqa2qzs said:
No answer here from this ol' boy, but just a general comment related to the subject. I have always been a bit leery of where the new artisans are getting their briar. How good is it? I don't mean to cast doubt, I'm just saying I don't know. For half a century I've been hearing about how the really good briar is growing scarce. Makes a lad wonder.  :scratch:
This is a huge misconception that hurts quite a few carvers. Yes, there is a lot of briar out there that is green that is being used right away....and most of it's bought off Ebay. HOWEVER, most of us source out briar from reputable briar mills that make sure their briar is in good shape....on top of the fact that we let it age before we ever cut into it. I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned if you don't know/haven't spoken to the carver.

As far as purchasing the pipe...I don't know. I guess it depends on how much you like it and if you are really comfortable spending the money on it.

From the "new carver's" point of view: I think a lot of people still pass me over as I haven't quite been doing this for 3 years yet and people haven't heard of me. So it really hurts sales when someone sees my pipe, picks it up and then asks who I am. I know building a reputation comes with time.....but I sure wish a few more people would take chances on my work :D

I'm mostly looking for red flags here and an evaluation process which the video went a long way toward giving me.  I haven't done a thorough inspection of the pipe as I don't feel it is fair to be pawing it until I have the money in hand to buy it that day if I finally decide to.  As that may be the case this weekend I wanted some ideas of things I may not have thought of.  I'll post a pic if I do a proper inspection either way.  I've been eyeing them in the case for a month now.  And handled them when they first came in.  

As this is the carvers first batch he has taken in for sale I wonder at the mistakes he may have made in mechanics and how to spot them.  I always see interviews where carvers say they cringe at the mistakes from their early pipes.  With the amount of info on the web these days I'm sure it is possible for someone to avoid such mistakes, however, I have no idea what they would be.  

The pipes are very artistic and asthetically gorgeous to me and have a unique style that I would call Danish meets Texas.  The price is great if the mechanics turn out to be good.  I'm just used to paying 100 to 175 for estates so anything over 200 I want to be really sure about.  I like the idea of supporting a new local carver.  I might have to ask the shop for his contact info to ask my questios direct or see when he'll be at the shop next.

Not being willing to disclose his source of briar is a cruel psychological sales tactic. Something along the lines of you being enamored by his exclusive source that provides premium briar which you cannot source elsewhere. Ask him if he sources his briar from Mimmo, and leave it at that. If he doesn't know who Mimmo is, that will tell you everything you need to know about his exclusive briar source.

As for what to look for, it depends on whether the pipe was carved and intended to by symmetrical or asymmetrical. Check for stem fit and finish. Turn the stem upside down and check to see if it still aligns perfectly with the shank. Also, the drilling doesn't have to be aligned perfectly for the pipe to smoke well, but wouldn't you be more impressed if it was?

Additionally, if the briar has any natural pits, I would much rather them be left natural than to be filled with putty.

Also, use a pipe cleaner to probe his stem work. Personally, I prefer pipes that are generally open, unless they fall into the nosewarmer category. The shorter a pipe is overall, the more it will benefit from a slightly smaller bore. Also, check the internals of the fishtail using the pipe cleaner to see if there is a smooth transition from bore to flare.

You will also find that fine tuned stem finishing is the hallmark of every artisan pipe carver, and every pipe carver who aspires to be viewed as such. Some devote as much or more time finishing their stems as they do their briar.

Also, if he doesn't coat his bowl internally, chances are he isn't trying to hide any internal flaws.

The truth is, a pipe doesn't have to be perfect visually to smoke well, but when they are perfect visually, they usually always smoke well.

Well I stopped by the shop and it looks like some of my questions were legit.  The pipe I've been looking at will be going back to the carver as the stem losened up to the point you can spin it with the change in weather here.  I won't mention the name as he has a lot of potential, but may have tried to sell too soon.

Gorgeous pipe though.

dh110.jpg

stapf":5t4rhv2j said:
Well I stopped by the shop and it looks like some of my questions were legit.  The pipe I've been looking at will be going back to the carver as the stem loosened up to the point you can spin it with the change in weather here.  I won't mention the name as he has a lot of potential, but may have tried to sell too soon.

Gorgeous pipe though.
That's not really a big deal, this happens quite often with integral tenons when made in
one climate and shipped to another the humidity and temp difference plays havoc on them.
To top it off it's also one of the simplest to fix, usually just by smoking it a few times. ;)

I tend to honor the old standard that you can judge how well something is built by taking it apart and looking at the parts that aren't easily seen. So what I'd do is take off the stem and check that the tenon fits the mortise with a minimum of space left over. No need to damage the pipe. Just have available a way to measure the depth of the mortise and the length of the tenon. (Mortise == The chamber above the air passage into which the tennon fits. Yes?)

Any new carver should be granted some space to prove himself. I believe that I should grant other buyers the space to do that.

In the mean time I will stick to the old boys.

I have a probllem with a pipemaker who doesn't smoke himself as well, but it shouldn't rule them out. There are some excelent pipemakers who don't smoke a pipe or didn't for the first few years they were making them. However it is a reason to be very critical and cautious. And it is one of the reasons I was very cautious about this carvers work.

I have decided to spend my money elsewhere. All of the comments and tips have been helpful. And I hope to be able to give the pipemakers who contacted me on here some business in the coming months. I had a few who were very helpful and I've been checking their sites trying to decide which direction to go first. I didn't realize that for what my shop was charging for these amature pipes or just a little moreI could get something made exactly the way I want.

Makis Minetos, sells good briar out of Greece, shipping is expensive, so it's best to order a lot to take advantage of the price. He supplies Briar to some big name pipe makers, so he seemed like a good choice. Vermont Freehand sells a good product also, btw they sell on eBay as well as their own website, so not everything on eBay is junk, you have to pay for good briar, you do get what you pay for. I also have ordered from Pimo and never been let down, they have great customer service as does vermont freehand. If the pipe you are looking at is sourced from one of these three, i'm pretty sure it's fine (material wise). However, I don't know how much money you're talking about spending, let's face it, some cob pipes smoke well so it comes down to paying for the aesthetics to me, many people have outlived their Grabow pipes and other drugstore brands. My advice is, if you like the pipe and can afford it, buy it. The pleasure of getting something you've worked hard to be able to afford for yourself, is a great lift to your spirit and they is good for your well being.

I wasn't saying that everything on ebay is bad. I bought briar my first year of making pipes off ebay.....and a lot of it was bad. Since then I have found some good sources on ebay and have gone to a few cutters directly. more than once I have gone to Steve Norse (Vermont Freehand) for a specific block and he comes through every time. It's all about knowing whos got the good stuff. And that does come down to the experience of the carver.

A nod towards Makis: I have been working with his briar for close to 8 months now. Every one of the BOB POTYs I made were with his wood. He sells fantastic briar at great prices!

And yes, I know who Mimmo is.....other than the few blocks I have gotten from Steve I have never really worked with it.

Interesting thread Stapf and of course, great replies.

My only thoughts are that, as alluded to earlier, an expensive artisan pipe is no guarantee of a great smoker, just as a basket pipe won't always be a stinker. That said, an artisan's pipe will of course raise your chances of being happy with the outcome. Also, everyone has to start somewhere. To look at it from a different perspective, if the pipesmith was to become very successful, you could boast to have one of his first pipes...