How soon to use from the production date?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC Outlaw

Reaction score
So my question is this: If I know the production date of a tin, how soon can I start using it?

I know that the longer I can let those containing virginia leaf (except aromatics) age, the better that they will be. But what about pure burleys? And what can I smoke while waiting, besides Carter Hall or Prince Albert?

I've got tins dated from February '08 through September '11 in the cellar. One of the oldest is a straight Burley. Most of the others have Virginia in the mix.

Any input would be helpful.

Burleys smoke any time. Lat blends, strong ones cellar well, lighter ones smoke fresh. Va's, get 'em as old as you can stand to wait!

I always try things fresh if I've never smoked them before. Aging has really just become the thing to do fairly recently. Tobacco blenders make their stuff ready to smoke as soon as it hits the shelf. It is fun to buy more than one tin of the same blend and smoke one now and then one later with some age on it to see the difference. It really doesn't take long before you know it, your cellar with have many tins with 5 years on them.

If you try something fresh and don't like it, don't throw it away. Put in a jar and wait a few years to see if it improved or you tastes have changed.