How to break in a new cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreodiane

Reaction score
Awaiting my new cob, how do I break it in? (I t will be with SWR regular).

Thank you,
John

Load it and smoke it.

The first few bowls may get a funky taste at the bottom of the bowl. That is the protruding shank burning off. I usually let put it aside when I get the taste and let it go out. Eventually the bottom of the bowl will fill in with cake/ash/something. I have been known to pack some cigar ash in there to speed up the process. The moisture of the tobacco as you smoke will dampen the cigar ash and it will "go off," and get hard as cement.

Fr_Tom":rx9ckxm9 said:
Load it and smoke it.

The first few bowls may get a funky taste at the bottom of the bowl. That is the protruding shank burning off. I usually let put it aside when I get the taste and let it go out. Eventually the bottom of the bowl will fill in with cake/ash/something. I have been known to pack some cigar ash in there to speed up the process. The moisture of the tobacco as you smoke will dampen the cigar ash and it will "go off," and get hard as cement.
Thank you,
John

Cons are very permissive about break in. It seems to be a good thing to start out with a bowl or three of PA or Ch. But that’s about it.