How to judge an Estate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raz_kaz

Reaction score
I am new to the pipe world and barely smoke, maybe 4 bowls a week but already getting the knack to get a few more pipes IF the price is right. I already spent a good chunk on my brand new pipe and with some more research I am leaning towards acquiring a few estates pipes.

Now my question to you is how to tell if an estate pipe is worth buying or it being junk? The collection is from an old man who had the pipes for 30+ years and hasn't smoked them, and probably maintained them, in over 10 years. He is about 50kms away and doesn't know how to use the internet so therefore no pictures, hence why I will be going to check them out in person.

What are some of the signs I should be looking for apart from the obvious chips, cracks, holes and gouges, loose stems?

Any help is appreciated

Unless they're lucite, the stems will probably be green/oxidised. So you can expect that. What you look for is deep tooth marks from clenching. The fewer (and shallower) these are, the better. Is the button nearly gnawed-away ?

The next thing you check is the top and rims. Did the guy beat the dottle out of them against an ashtray or a wall, leaving them all scarred ? Will this bother you if he did ? (If you really like the pipe otherwise, it probably will).

Even more important is the inside rim. Is it all charred out of round from careless lighting ? (That can be hard -- even impossible -- to judge if the top's all crusted over with solidified tar).

Check the bowl walls for dark spots that can (but don't necessarily) indicate an incipient burn-out from smoking too hot for too long.

Try running a pipe cleaner through each stem. Can you reach the interior of the bowl with it ? (Snip the end of the cleaner off cleanly with a wire snipper first so you don't have a hook edge that can catch on the way through and give you a false reading). If you can, that's a good sign. If not, twist the stem out and see if the drilling's concentric with the mortise or not. (Bent bulldogs and similar pipes will almost never pass this test but can still be good smokers)

Then again, the airway might be just crusted nearly shut from not having been well-enough maintained). If so, and you get that pipe, use drill bits (hand held in a tap wrench and very gently going from smaller sizes up to bore diameter) to shave the tar away. Forget alcohol on cleaners entirely.

Try drawing air (or blowing) through the stems. (This will obviously be related to whether the airway's crusted up or not). A free draw is a good thing. A tight draw you have to guess a little about.

Finally, do you just flat-out like the pipe ? If you do, you'll probably spend more time getting it right once you get it home (and getting right with it) than if it's just something to smoke.

Another factor is, who made each pipe ? "Name" pipes (Stanwell, to pull one out of the air) are better bets than a "Genuine Imported Briar." But then again, many of these were made by "name" companies. In the final analysis, you're getting a pipe. Not a name.

Finally, does it smell bad (either sour or ghosted with yucky shampoo/candy stuff that's going to color every bowl you smoke in it for years to come) ? If so, you're looking at sending it to Dr. Dave to be Ozoned, at least. Possibly re-stemmed, re-finished, &c. to put it back to 100% again. Factor this cost (Ozone $5 + mailing each way) into the equation.

Estate pipes can be craps-shoots even when they're cleaned up ; raw ones increase the guessing factor, but generally sell way cheaper. So don't get bummed if one doesn't end up working out. In the long run, the better you get at evaluating raw estates and doing basic clean-up, the more you'll be able to stock your racks with better pipes at lower cost than your bros here who need their hands held (reputable sellers with good feedback on Flea Bay, multiple sharp pictures, return policy, &c).

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Happy hunting !

:face:

If you like them and the price seems decent go for it. If he has Dunhill or Peterson in the lot then he probably has mostly decent pipes. I have yet to need to mail any pipes of for the ozone treatment but learning the salt treatment is key as is owning a reamer should there be excessive cake. Even if there isn't excessive cake I still personally ream my bowls all the way down and then do the salt treatment. To get yourself better accustomed to what new pipes cost hop onto pipesandcigars.com and look at the prices of Dunhill, Peterson, Savinelli, Ardor, then look at Dr. Grabow and see the difference in price and apparent quality just in the pics. There are hundreds of makers out there and each have their own quirks about them that make them unique. Good luck.

He has around 2 Peterson pipes listed which are the ones I'm interested in, but a lot more Peterson pipes in his collection he's willing to let go. I'm excited to see what a 30 year piper has collected over the years.

I've been familiarizing myself with the art of restoring/cleaning pipes for a day like this. Unfortunately with my current situation, can't get a break to go check out the pipes until next week but I will be sure to post pics of any diamonds in the rough I find!

Again, knowing nothing of pipes but I will compare it to buying used vehicles. Would any of you ask for a test ride IE a smoke in the pipe to test it or is it not needed?

I personally wouldn't smoke a pipe until after I cleaned it myself. If he smoked lat blends and you smoke an aromatic, for instance, you will probably have a ghosting of his old toby in there. I don't smoke my estate pipes until I have reamed and given the salt treatment, unless they are from someone I know for a fact has cleaned them as I would.

I'm with Kaiser on that question. With your level of experience, there's not much you could learn from a test drive.

kaiser83":k5bk2f1r said:
I personally wouldn't smoke a pipe until after I cleaned it myself. If he smoked lat blends and you smoke an aromatic, for instance, you will probably have a ghosting of his old toby in there. I don't smoke my estate pipes until I have reamed and given the salt treatment, unless they are from someone I know for a fact has cleaned them as I would.
I'll third that! Definitely clean, sanitize, and ream it before use.

I like Yak's step-by-step. Estate pipes are tough to judge, and often the seller either has no idea (or is being tight-lipped) about the pipe. I've bought a few where mary jane was smoked in it (which is a deal-killer for me) and that pisses me off to no end. I'll supplement what Yak said above:

* Use a pipe tool (or something metal) and tap gently down the sides of the tobacco chamber inside the bowl. A distinctive "tink" should be heard, and it should feel solid like hard wood or stone. If it sounds flat or knocks rather than a metallic resonance, it could indicate burnout inside the bowl. A closer inspection might reveal black spots, cracks and divots that look like a dry lake bed. That's burnout. No bueno.

* Look very closely at the shank and the heel for hairline cracks--if the last owner was uncaring about taking apart his pipe when moist or hot, it wouldn't take much to be the final straw that broke the pipe's back.

* Carefully pull the stem from the shank, and check the mortise and tenon (once you've checked for cracks, that is). Look inside, see if it's broken/damaged, lines up okay, and whether or not it's set up for a filter (personally, I avoid filter pipes.)

Like the other gents have mentioned, a good sanitizing, reaming, stem-cleaning and polishing are a good idea before first smoke.

Good luck. 8)

I think Yak pretty well summed it up. Clear, helpful, and to the point.
He must be on his meds today.

George Kaplan":7xs14h17 said:
I think Yak pretty well summed it up. Clear, helpful, and to the point.
He must be on his meds today.
+! I concurr comepletly. He has covered it quite well, well enough that this reply he gave should maybe be made a Stickey :p

Thanks for all the feedback. Don't think this old man is trying to scam me lol

Stay tuned for a future post with all my findings. Hopefully they will be gems