how to know when pipe tobbaco is the right humidity?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2thepipe

Reaction score
Im new to pipe smoking and i dont have any money after ordering tobacco and a new pipe I didnt think about storage. my old pipe was a cheap one and it broke and now i got a better one and better tobacco. I can get my hands on masson jars but i dont have a humidity guage or a moistener or wax. Pleas let me know any ideas or recommendations. They will all be appreciated!
Thanks Ben

Distilled water for a $1 a gallon is what I use. I can usually find small spray bottles in the womens cosmetic section of my local drugstore. Simply remove the lid, spray a shot of water inside your lid, and then replace your lid. Tupperware works as well as mason jars, and is less fragile. You can add more water daily until you get the moisture level right. If you get it too high, your tongue can get steam burned and your pipe will collect more moisture.

Thak you for the information :D Is there a way to know when the tobacco is humid enough?

It's not a critical issue. If it gets too dry it will burn very fast. As long as it burns relatively slowly it's fine. I find if it gets too moist, I start to get moisture in the stem, as well as steamy tongue bite.