How to light my pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highpockets

Reaction score
I am soliciting thoughts about the best source of fire for a pipe--wooden matches, Bic type lighters, butane pipe lighters, Zippo type pipe lighters, best and most dependable brands of lighters, etc. Any advice/experiences appreciated.

Matches or soft flame butane(like bic). Don't use torch lights as they are too hot and could damage the pipe. Standard zippos create an off taste so those are not recommended, but people do use them. Getting a pipe lighter would be nice too, and keeps from burning your fingers with a bic, they have the striker on the opposite side from the flame and sometimes on a protrusion that makes lighting a bowl easy. Lotus is a popular band, and if you're like me and smoke cigars they have one that has both a soft flame for pipes and a torch for cigars in the same light, think it's called the Double Down.

For my cigarettes, I have been a devoted Zippo fan since I was around 15 years old.

But, for my pipes, I am a devoted match fan. After allowing the sulfur to burn away, you get flavor that is not influenced by the flame. And, a match won't char the rim of your pipe as easily as some lighters (like torches). Plus, I like the nostalgic "feel" of the match... makes me feel "connected" to my Granddaddy!!

Robert

beebiz":k1zmz1wy said:
For my cigarettes, I have been a devoted Zippo fan since I was around 15 years old.

But, for my pipes, I am a devoted match fan. After allowing the sulfur to burn away, you get flavor that is not influenced by the flame. And, a match won't char the rim of your pipe as easily as some lighters (like torches). Plus, I like the nostalgic "feel" of the match... makes me feel "connected" to my Granddaddy!!

Robert
I couldn't agree with you more Beebiz about the connection using a match to lite my baccy. It gives me more of a nostalgic feel to it.

I also prefer a soft flame vs torch for my cigars. But for stogies I use a Vector or Djeep disposable.

I'm a devoted Zippo fan. I don't notice much by way of taste from the fuel. And they're great outdoors.

Muddler":t54w0jq2 said:
I'm a devoted Zippo fan. I don't notice much by way of taste from the fuel. And they're great outdoors.
Ditto on that Mudd, but I'm curious as to the old boy ... hmmmm :roll:

Doesn't matter really as long as the fire is soft, 9 of 10 times for me it's a bic!
I'm not cool enough for a zippo besides I gave my insert to Mudd!

IF I'm in a smoke shop I use matches. If I'm outdoors, I use my Zippo with pipe insert. IF I let the flame burn for maybe two seconds before I light my pipe, I don't get any taste from it.

I like the Old Boy a lot. But it requires the finest of fuel. Plan on returning it for service. They do carbon up.

Usually in the ham shack, I do an initial light with a match. Then relights with a lighter. Often it's a Zippo with the new fuel. Out of habit I let it burn off any odor for a couple seconds.

I have three Zippos. Two brass, one of which is the 1941 style and the other the heavy, Armored, or some term like that. My favorite is a copper Zippo.

HD and Carlos, are you talking about letting a Zippo loaded with standard liquid lighter fluid (ie. Zippo, Ronson, and such) "burn off" for a couple of seconds? Just curious. I do and always have loved my Zippo lighters. But, I don't want to add a lighter fluid taste to my pipes. And, I don't care for the butane inserts. Again, just curious!!

Robert

I got one of these from a friend. Works like a charm and no burnt thumb! :cheers:

pipe_l12.jpg

i keep a dragon. a small one. squeeze him in the middle, snap, you got fire!

just kidding, i don't really keep a dragon...

really my brother bought me a really nice pipe lighter that allows the fire to come out either side (depending which way you want to hold it.) that's the advantage to a pipe lighter. but it's a refillable and i'm lazy so i have a bunch of bics i end up using a lot. the pipe lighter is way better though.

beebiz":4qgiiy60 said:
HD and Carlos, are you talking about letting a Zippo loaded with standard liquid lighter fluid (ie. Zippo, Ronson, and such) "burn off" for a couple of seconds? Just curious. I do and always have loved my Zippo lighters. But, I don't want to add a lighter fluid taste to my pipes. And, I don't care for the butane inserts. Again, just curious!!

Robert
Yep, just a few seconds of burn, then I get nothing as far as lighter fluid taste. I never go out without one of my Zippo's. I also carry Djeep lighters in case my Zippo runs low, though.

Handsome Dynamite":oinbkcri said:
beebiz":oinbkcri said:

Robert
Yep, just a few seconds of burn, then I get nothing as far as lighter fluid taste. I never go out without one of my Zippo's. I also carry Djeep lighters in case my Zippo runs low, though.
Interesting info here HD thanks!

Handsome Dynamite":ml091ya3 said:
beebiz":ml091ya3 said:

Robert
Thanks, Handsome... wait a minute... it just don't sound right... me saying that to another guy!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Let's try this again.........

Thanks, HD! There... that's better!! :lol:

Seriously, I do appreciate you clarifying that for me! As I said, I do love my Zippos. And, this will just give me a good excuse to buy another one!!

"Honey... you like the smell of my pipe tobacco... and, you know it's better for me than cigarettes... and, I need a Zippo pipe lighter because....." :lol:

Robert