How to smoke a pipe while driving even if you don't clench

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joequo

Reaction score
I've been smoking my pipe in my car for a couple years now, and I'd consider myself a pseudo-clencher. A clench here, a clench there, but normally the pipe is in my left hand (I'm a lefty). This might not work for everyone's car, but I came up with a way to make driving and smoking my pipe easy and stress-free by mounting a pipe rest in the space between my seats. I just got one of those leather pipe rests and slapped some velcro on the bottom and the other half of the velcro to the car. Check it out!

P.S. I know she's about due for a vacuum appointment, haha.

I just take cobs and store them next to the 4WD gearshift... kind of a little leather cradle built into my 4Runner. 8) If they go flying across the cab (...happens...) I just make sure I don't step on 'em. :lol:

Nice idea, though. I did see a vintage ad once for a pipe clamp that stuck to the dash. Seemed partially practical.

Kyle Weiss":qub8atdj said:
I just take cobs and store them next to the 4WD gearshift... kind of a little leather cradle built into my 4Runner. 8) If they go flying across the cab (...happens...) I just make sure I don't step on 'em. :lol:

Nice idea, though. I did see a vintage ad once for a pipe clamp that stuck to the dash. Seemed partially practical.
Haha I know exactly what you're talking about, that's excellent!

I smoke on my commute to and from work every day. I just hold it in my hand rest my wrist on the top of the steering wheel. Relights can be tricky but that's what God gave us knees for. :lol:

I've never had trouble driving and smoking as a clencher. I can light and tamp like a champ while heading down the highway. My future father in law says it doesn't count, however, because I drive an automatic, not a standard. "Come back when you learn how to do that!" he says.

I smoke too and from work. It is about a 35 minute drive. I have a Ascot (Tinderbox) pipe that my wife gave me in 1997 (first pipe) and it is not too big or heavy and smokes just right about of time. Before I take off I pack it carefully to avoid relights on the drive. I do have a Lotus Pipe Lighter if comes to it which is a lot easier then using matches when driving.

My 12-year-old Saab has a cupholder that folds and slides into the dashboard. It's an engineering marvel. I put a cup in it and it works just fine as a bent MM Diplomat pipe holder. I'm lousy at relights in motion, though. Don't know what I'll do when I eventually have to replace my Saab. Well, I also own a seven-year-old Honda SUV which should easily make it to its 12th bd. Won't do 0-100 off the entry ramp like the Saab, though.

I don't put mine down much when I am smoking and driving, either holding it or clenching it. When I need a relight I've learned to rest my pinky on the outside of the bowl while holding the match with thumb and pointer. If the pipe moves the match stays in the same relation to it so I don't have to chase it around with the match. Red lights are a pipe lighter's friend but a lot of my driving is on the interstate so I pick a stretch of road that isn't going to be challenging while multi-tasking. For the occasions when I do put it down I've considered making a holder that would fit in my cup holders but that hasn't risen high enough on the priority list to make it into the shop.