How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK Gents, I'm leaving myself wide open for a shot or two here so please excuse my ignorance!
RonA just sent over some Stokkebye Bullseye medallions, As we do not get such luxuries here I have never had the pleasure of smoking it.
So...... how do you prepare those pesky little circles for smoking???

What say you?????

I share your curiousity. I'm a newbie to these too and haven't settled on any method.

Buddy

Buddy Springman":aerc8750 said:
I share your curiousity. I'm a newbie to these too and haven't settled on any method.

Buddy
Cool Buddy, so we will hang around here and find out! :?:

Two schools of thought here, For LBF & Escudo. Escudo ,having the same coin
appearance, slightly different recipe.

Most prefer the roll & Stuff, Just separate the coins [ sometimes they're stuck together
in the tin.] Then roll the coins into a loose tube then insert into bowl with a slght twisting motion like your screwing the tobacco in

Some do varying degrees of rubbing out as would be the practice with any other flake

Thanks for the advice Old Salt!!
Flakes I have smoked a lot of but was wondering about medallions as the baccy is rolled in layers, here having a wee bit of Black Cavendish in the center. I do most of the time roll & stuff flakes if they are thin enough and not to dry!

Piet, LBF along with PS luxury twist flake have become 2 of my favorites, especially considering the reasonable price they sell for. For me, LTF definitely smokes best if you fold it (make sure the folded edge breaks so you get distinct broken strands of tobacco) then roll the doubled up flake into a roll and insert into the pipe. I try to leave it loose with lots of air space, don't stuff it.

For LBF, I usually start the same way, fold the coin in half and roll up as above. However, because it is a coin instead of a flake, folding does not expose as many broken ends, so after folding and rolling I will twist gently, causing the strands of tobacco to line up parallel with each other. Then I insert into the pipe bowl, again trying not to compress or stuff too much. Folding also places the little cavendish bullseye at the top so I get that flavor working early before the vaper kicks in.

Pipe does make a big difference with both of these, I find a narrow chamber with lots of wall thickness like a dublin is a good choice, I really feel that the thickness of the bowl walls hold extra heat, permitting the tobacco to release its goodness without needing to puff and get the tobacco itself too hot. Just my thinking on the subject, seems to work with a lot of the flakes I enjoy. Mike

Brilliant Hunter... thank you for the advice and taking time out to stop by!

The advice above is dead on (I simply ball them up and twist them in myself); the only thing I would emphasize is that one should be sure to leave a good sized 'air pocket' at the bottom of the bowl.

For me, after much trial and error, I found that breaking the rings up in little pinches seems to do the trick, and the cavendish gets mixed in with the rest. I was wondering if P.S. makes something like this with a bit more of the cavendish? :pirat:

Piet, I fully rub them most of the time. It's just a matter of choice. I have never had much luck with the fold method. The baccy seems to burn uneven for me, so I usually just rub them, let them dry and light it.

I always rub out the coins... Flakes most of the time as well.

I usually fold them an twist them a little to break up the layers abit as i'm putting them in the bowl. Thru trial and error i found out that they burn better when the layers are slighlty broken up.

WOW, this thread has come alive again, thanks for the help and advice once again chaps!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

odd piet, i rub them out, based on your advice (weird). but hey, i'm going to try this fold over method!

bruins":xg7924yc said:
odd piet, i rub them out, based on your advice (weird). but hey, i'm going to try this fold over method!
Bru, after you've been rubbing them, it might be hard to fold it. ;)

Falconer":poe19mvn said:
bruins":poe19mvn said:
Funny stuff.
Yea I rub them too but when it comes to Macbaren Club blend for example it has a black Cavendish core. Here I think it is better to fold in order to get even flow of taste and unleash the cavendish (Kraken) half way down the bowl. Was just touching base here!!

Piet Binsbergen":moav2jyy said:
Falconer":moav2jyy said:
bruins":moav2jyy said:
Funny stuff.
Yea I rub them too but when it comes to Macbaren Club blend for example it has a black Cavendish core. Here I think it is better to fold in order to get even flow of taste and unleash the cavendish (Kraken) half way down the bowl. Was just touching base here!!
actually, folding over makes sense. both with the club blend and the stokkebye, i worry about the cavendish distribution when i rub it out. plus, i make a mess.

okay gents, i tried the Hunter5117 method. i think the man is onto something. made the peter stokkebye bullseye taste mighty tasty and really brought the cavendish to the foreground. thanks hunter!

bruins":40t937ej said:
okay gents, i tried the Hunter5117 method. i think the man is onto something. made the peter stokkebye bullseye taste mighty tasty and really brought the cavendish to the foreground. thanks hunter!
Jip bro!!!!
Mid bowl taste bud explosion!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: