How to store my unused tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbookbinder

Reaction score
I buy my tobacco in a 12 ounce bag, and my humidor holds about half of it. That 6 ounces lasts me, I bet, 2 months, smoking maybe 5-6 bowls a week. What should I do with the other 6 ounces in the meantime? Right now I have it in the original bag, closed as airtight as I can, in the freezer. Is that the right way to handle it?

thank you,

Paul

Some folks use mason jars, but that's more for long term storage. If you feel you may wish to access the contents occasionally, I'd say go for one of those jars with the metal hinge and the rubber seal...I have a bunch of them but I forget the name. Toss one of those circular humidifier thingies in there for good measure.

Sorry for the complete lack of technical terms in this post. :lol:

Edit: I guess they're called fido jars. Here they are on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=fido+jars

I keep it all in mason jars, even the stuff I dip into every now and again. I just keep the stuff I'm aging separated from the stuff I'm smoking.

Bulk stuff can go into various jars with sealing lids, tins get double-ziploc bagged and stored in their original containers.

Long-term storage, canning type jars are best. 8)

I use the 8 oz jars too
But I make sure they are the " Wide Mouth" , so I can get my fingers in there.
and they do hold 2 oz's .

DustyRoundup":22cmee7c said:
I use the 8 oz jars too
But I make sure they are the " Wide Mouth" , so I can get my fingers in there.
and they do hold 2 oz's .
Glad you mentioned this! Wide mouth is paramount for easy access. With the usual canning jars with the narrow top it's hell to get in there once the jar gets lower than 3/4 full.

Bulk tobacco that I use frequently is stored in old Walnut (or apparently any Middleton product) "cans," the plastic kind used nowadays. The seal isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, and the important thing is that they're nice and wide for access. When they no longer hiss when replacing the lid, you know the tobacco is too dry. An interesting thing is that the top center protuberance used for a handle is hollow, and you can stuff a homemade humidifier up in there. Works for me; I'll be damned if I dig into a mason jar for tobacco, though they are the thing to use for aging Virginias, if you're into that. I really don't have the patience or foresight.