How To Tighten A Pipe Stem ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kapnismologist":jqthnl3e said:
So this thread got me to thinking earlier this evening.

A while back I purchased a small Wally Frank dublin (marked J.R. Special 14) - a lovely little estate, save the stem was a bit loose. Interestingly enough, the problem was a slight bulge in the middle of the tenon. That is, inserted half way into the mortise it fits tight, but when fully inserted is a bit loose. Because the heat-and-expand method was not an attractive option for this particular situation, I asked my wife if she had any clear nail polish. Sure enough, she did. Applied a thin coat on the thinner portion of the tenon, let set, and voila - perfecto.

Smoking some Peretti's Oxford Flake in it as I type.
Good save! Perhaps a "heat tenon and push on flat surface" gone bad????? That might account for the bulge at mid tenon. That is why I advocate the bees wax method unless skilled at that procedure. The nail polish method is another less aggressive procedure since you can always carefully sand off the coat of polish if necessary.

skaukatt":zcj2t8s0 said:
Kapnismologist":zcj2t8s0 said:
So this thread got me to thinking earlier this evening.

A while back I purchased a small Wally Frank dublin (marked J.R. Special 14) - a lovely little estate, save the stem was a bit loose. Interestingly enough, the problem was a slight bulge in the middle of the tenon. That is, inserted half way into the mortise it fits tight, but when fully inserted is a bit loose. Because the heat-and-expand method was not an attractive option for this particular situation, I asked my wife if she had any clear nail polish. Sure enough, she did. Applied a thin coat on the thinner portion of the tenon, let set, and voila - perfecto.

Smoking some Peretti's Oxford Flake in it as I type.
Good save! Perhaps a "heat tenon and push on flat surface" gone bad????? That might account for the bulge at mid tenon. That is why I advocate the bees wax method unless skilled at that procedure. The nail polish method is another less aggressive procedure since you can always carefully sand off the coat of polish if necessary.
I second the bees wax again!!!! safe and clean!!

Well I will tell ya the bees wax worked great.. This cooler weather is going to be moving in.. Don't need my pipe fallen out on an ice or snow covered lake. I think the instant cold could crack it.. Thanks for all your input and thoughts.. :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..

^ Glad to hear that worked. Adding a block of said wax to the shop supplies tomorrow. Great advice skaukatt!

skaukatt":laho9aeb said:
That would seem to be the case. In any event, I'll certainly give the beeswax method a go next time such a situation arises. Great advice!

velveteagle":wdw2ftqi said:
Well I will tell ya the bees wax worked great.. This cooler weather is going to be moving in.. Don't need my pipe fallen out on an ice or snow covered lake. I think the instant cold could crack it.. Thanks for all your input and thoughts.. :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..
Good to hear brother Chuck!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: