Howdee all...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzywozywoz

Reaction score
Gday everyone.

Finaly subed to this gr8 site!

firstly, hello!

im not a cig smoker (tbh i h8 it, h8 the smell.. and h8 the ideal of inhaling it..) but i do enjoy the odd cigar! bought a few and reall wanted to 'get in to' cigars.. however the price was always an issue!
i always just thought pipes were inhaled like cigs, but when i heard they its about the flavour... DING...so i thought about pipes!

i bought a cob about 4-5 weeks ago, 5x differnt 5 grs samples of tabbaco, tool, cleaners, pouch... £20... (the same price as a ncie cigar!
and i thought, if this pipe thing takes off, id get through the samples, and find my self wonting more... and i did! SO yesterday (payday) took the plunge and bought my self a new briar, my first one.
a Peterson - rock of Cashel - 999

I have been reading up on all these different braking-in methods, and im just going to smoke a half bowl 3-4 times, and then go full bowls.. smoking down to the end, watching the heat and taking my time...
sorted!...

so anyway, got my new pipe today, and thought its the right time to sign up here and join the community! :)

Regards
Ozzy

Welcome to BoB Ozzy!!! :cheers:

As far as the break-in goes, I've found that just relaxing and taking it easy and enjoying the bacci is the key.

I do a question... another 'noob' questionall be it..
regarding my new pipe... stright out the box, its ok to smoke?? or do i need to wash it first..?? (i ofc came in a dust bag..)
may be wash the mouth bit?

i am going to get soem of those rubby mouth bites to help protect from my teeth too :)

cant wait to get home from work today and relaxxxxx

Welcome & congrats on the Pete 999 purchase. Don't be a tease & lets see some pic's of her.
I don't clean a new pipe, just run a pipe cleaner thru it to make sure it clear. I've had one pipe that was so plugged up with "bowl coating" i had to chip/scrape it away to make it draw & another that had a round piece of steel shard in it from drilling the band out stuck in the bottom of the airway.

2013-011.jpg

This is her.. with a few little samples i got too.. sorry its not a gr8 pic to show her off! :)

Greetings and welcome to the BoB.

As far as breaking in a pipe, just smoke it. The only restrictions I would suggest at first would be to smoke it no more than once a day, let it rest for a day. For the best tasting tobacco experience, avoid getting the pipe too hot especially with high content Virginia blends and aromatics.

Welcome! That's a nice selection to start off with; hope you find several you enjoy

"T"

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Just to update... last night, i have a half bowl of that 'green mixture'...
omg... i dont how much it was the tobacco, or the briar.. or just the pipe.. but the half bowl (which is almost the same as a cob anyway) was a dream.

tbh, i dont rate the Green mix to be the best iv tried thus far, but i kept it slow and as cool as pos. i stoped, let it cool for a little bit, and started again.
the bottom of the bowl did heat up a bit (then i stopped) but as its my first briar i dont know how hot or cool the out'a bowl should be normaly.

Anyway, one thing i LOVE was the fact the bowl tampers at the bottom to the hole in the center (if you cut in half the bottom is alittle circular).. as the cob is a squar base with the hole on the side (if that makes sence).. so smoking to the bottom was alot easier.

Cant wait tot try the Dunhill - morning... heard thats a nice english.

thanks again for the welcome :)

Welcome! Definitely a nice pipe and mix of tobacco's, especially for a newbie! You either do your research well or got lucky!

How was the early morning pipe? I really like that one. EMP to start the day, Nitecap to end it a lot of my days.

Yup, just smoke it easy, don't burn the pipe. Burning a pipe takes some pretty major puffing, so long as you can hold the bowl in your hand, you're doing ok. Run pipe cleaners through the stem, maaaybe hold off on wiping out the bowl completely for the first half dozen smokes, and you're pipe'll condition well, thereafter, just clean it out after smoking and let it rest and you'll be set for a long time.

Most of all, Enjoy!

--Alex

i have only smoked my new pipe a few times.... but its lovly... sooooo much better then my cob!

Green, was a nice smoke... was my first smoke in the 999, so i will need to smoke again b4 i rate, coz i was so over welmed at the different just from the cob to my 999 :)

the Sweet Killarney burnt very hot in my cob, and i wasnt too impressed!, dont know if i want to put it in my 999... not onl y for the flavour, but coz it burnt rather hot (the hotest iv felt so far)

the choc flake.. YUM... since im a noobie.. i used the fold method, which failed badly! but the second i rubbed out which was alot better!

and ofc the EMP... YES!! a pefect smoke!.... going to be hard to beat!

yet to try the plum cake which smells amazing!

And yes awoodby, i do my reserch! :) (nothing else to do at work! lol ) but i knew peterson would make a high quality pipe, and found the cheapest line (rock of cashel) ... which, luckly enough, i loved. i lvoe the rustic look, and the 999 shape is what i fancied!

anyway, thanks all.

George Kaplan":di6xquuo said:

Just kidding! :p Welcome aboard, brother.
Welcome! Most of us are used to using normal English grammer and complete spelling and punctuation as some of us are not up on the current "texting" form of our language :twisted: