Howdy all. What's crackin' from Southern Cali?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hater

Reaction score
Well well well what to say, what to say? I started accts on a couple different pipe sites but a friend and fellow pipe smoker, the one who actually recently got me into this facking addiction (haha) told me I was doing it all wrong and that this was the place I needed to be so, well erm, here I am.

Disclaimer: As I am new to the online pipe community in general lI would like to apologize to anyone who has read my intro threads on another forum but I swear this is the last one.

So here goes:

I've been an avid cigar smoker for years and never really thought to pick up a pipe. That all changed not to long ago when I was, for the most part, gifted a cheap 40.00 pipe and some medium english blend and not only haven't I looked back but I haven't even smoked a cigar in months. A pipe, i have come to understand, is a beautiful thing.

Anyways up until yesterday I had picked up 3 more to start a rotation,( as instructed by my friend who it seems is bent on making my obsessive behavior work in his favor and make me broke and quite possibly steal my woman and my harleys) a design Berlin Billiard, a Savenelli second, and my current favorite a Karl Erik freehand that can be seen in my avatar.

I have used that first pipe as the one I smoke 4 days week to rest the others but remember when I said "up until yesterday? Well..... my obsession hit a boiling point yesterday and I ended up with credit card in my hand surfing one of the reputable pipe sellers on the interwebs. WHAT A FREAKING MISTAKE. I'm rich by no means but BOY DO I HAVE GREAT CREDIT, the banks they love me. And after yesterday I think I may need to run my credit cards through the shredder. That, and probably sever the relationship with that bastard that got me into this. So as the story goes I picked up 5 beauties and I should be getting them this week. I'm thinking of starting a thread in the regular forums to elicit responses on my choices as well. Yeah, I am that kind of big mouth guy that wants everyone to know what a problem child I am. There are a couple of Celius danish freehands, a TC Fuller freehand, a neils Bro, and a JHW Dublin freehand ( I may even do an unboxing on youtube when I get the package ) which i personally believe to be some stunning pipes.

My main problem, besides my good credit and the asshole trying to ruin my life is that I can choose the pipes i like with the best of them but I have virtually no idea what I want to put in the pipes! At the moment I am smoking what I think to be medium english blends and a pack of Black Knight. I say what I beleive to be becasue I am buying them from the local tobacconist and and the ones I like are blends made in shop with conspicious names like "Daves Blend and "Scotts Bend". You know what Im saying? So any help in that would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that, and on a serious note, I would just like to say that I'm actually quite excited about all this and . I look forward to hanging out and seeing whats up around here.

And so it goes....

Welcome, Hater. (that sounds weird to say :p ) Seems like a lot of new pipe smokers are ex-cigar converts. It's not an addiction, it's a hobby; at least that's what I keep telling myself. :twisted: Looking forward to seeing those new pipes when you get them. A lot of those "house blend" tobaccos are re-branded Lane's blends or others. (Altadis, Stokkebye?) If you found out what they "really" are, it could help you make comparisons via this forum or tobaccoreviews.com. Just a thought.

Welcoem to the forums! I hope you have fun here.

My lighter-Latakia blend of choice is Germain's King Charles Mixture; hope you find some you like as well

"T"

Welcome aboard Hater...although there are several others of "you" here already! ;)

Any way - I always tell "newer" guys(as I'm a newb myself) about John Patton's Storm Front and McClelland's Frog Morton On The Town as great, easy to enjoy and get the hang of tobaccos...they'd be worth a shot for you I believe..

Oh, and if you DON'T want to end up spending a BUTT-load of money, this should be your last post on this site...enjoy your new "hobby"!

Thanks for the warm welcomes all. I will be ordering the tobaccos recommended here. And George, I will be asking my local tobacconist what is esactly in this tobacco and I will be getting back to you.

Welcome to the board.

haters21.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Its great to have you here

Good luck keeping that good credit with your new disease haha :twisted:

Welcome Welcome Hombre!
I spent my youth in the San Bernadino area and my best and oldest school friend came from a hearty biker family. Your writing style reminds me of how he often spoke! Anyhoo, you will find this forum to be just the place to commiserate with those of us equally unable to resist the fiscal siren's song of new briar. As for tobacco, I enjoy English (read LOVE LATAKIA). I would say that I haven't found a GL Pease (English) blend I haven't liked. Try G.L Pease's Odyssey or Esoterica's Penzance. If you can manage to lay your hands on Penzance please don't hold me responsible for what will follow...the late night cloak and dagger meetings with people who say they can get their hands on some...the awkward hand-to-hand transactions with Albanian tobacco smugglers on the wharfs at night...the self doubt which is evidenced by much mumbling about hell and hand-baskets... :affraid:
No sir! Don't blame ole Dottleman!

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Dottleman":v68u0wc0 said:
Welcome Welcome Hombre!
I spent my youth in the San Bernadino area and my best and oldest school friend came from a hearty biker family. Your writing style reminds me of how he often spoke! Anyhoo, you will find this forum to be just the place to commiserate with those of us equally unable to resist the fiscal siren's song of new briar. As for tobacco, I enjoy English (read LOVE LATAKIA). I would say that I haven't found a GL Pease (English) blend I haven't liked. Try G.L Pease's Odyssey or Esoterica's Penzance. If you can manage to lay your hands on Penzance please don't hold me responsible for what will follow...the late night cloak and dagger meetings with people who say they can get their hands on some...the awkward hand-to-hand transactions with Albanian tobacco smugglers on the wharfs at night...the self doubt which is evidenced by much mumbling about hell and hand-baskets... :affraid:
No sir! Don't blame ole Dottleman!

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Yeah, Im a biker. guilty as charged. Thanks for the words. Its funny I went to the local tobacco shop today and asked for some Latkia and he told me I cant smoke that by itself but gave me a nice full bodied english blend that has latkia in it that I am enjoying right now with a glass of whiskey. I have to say I have no idea if said part that I am enjoying IS the Latkia but what I will say is that I really like it. Im currently looking for the G.L Pease's Odyssey and Esoterica's Penzance but the shady back alley mother f***ers that said they could get it held me at knife point while they rifled through my chonies and took my gold money clip and everything clipped there within. That said they swore they'd be back in an hour but Ive been standing in in this alley with dwindling iphone battery power for 14 plus hours, hence how long it has taken me to respond. I guess they are out of stock. It must be good.

Hater":j8ms2gqz said:
Im currently looking for the G.L Pease's Odyssey and Esoterica's Penzance but the shady back alley mother f***ers that said they could get it held me at knife point while they rifled through my chonies and took my gold money clip and everything clipped there within. That said they swore they'd be back in an hour but Ive been standing in in this alley with dwindling iphone battery power for 14 plus hours, hence how long it has taken me to respond. I guess they are out of stock. It must be good.
Something tells me this guy's gonna get along pretty well here. :p