Humble beginnings...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishMonk

Reaction score

My 'smoking lounge / cellar' ;) Gotta start somewhere right ?
Out of curiosity, is it bad for the sunlight to come in a bit on the jars ?

No sunlight. Dark, cool place.

It's almost an altar of sacrifice. I kind of like that. 8)

Yep , Kyles right, No Sunlight.

Years ago, I worked at a feed store, and the owner integrated a health food store, with over 100, one gallon mayo jars, with bulk herbs on shelves on the walls.
The clientele, (that knew theyre stuff) got pretty upset, that the herbs were in clear jars , and taking in light, reflective light even.. They said the herbs lose theyre potency, and attributes.

So, you might want to find some sort of box , or cabinet, to store those jars in.

But, hey, thats a nice lookin setup you have there.
What kind of pipes are those?
And what baccys are ya smokin?

Couple of Dr. Grabows. Next I'm gonna get a couple of MM cobs... after that I may delve into the world of 'better' briars. As for the tobacco, again, nothing special here yet. All from the tobacco bar at the local tobacconist. From left to right is 'cool aromatic', a horrible all black cavendish. Then their house blend El Fuego, then Centurion, Aristocrat,Mark Twain and 'Smooth black and gold cavendish'. All pretty good wxcept the first, which tastes like notebook paper.
I have some McClelland 5100 Red Cake and Villiger 1888 Early Day on the way...

Thanks for the tips... I'll get those blends outta the sunlight.

Is there such thing as amber glass Mason jars? That'd be cool. I know there's opaque swing-top jars, but those are pricey.

I think herbs are a little different than treated tobacco as far as sensitivity, but the idea is the same. Keep them in a controlled environment limiting light and temperature extremes, and you should be good. With herbs, and even spices, the volatile components, vitamins and other compounds tend to get oxidized and affected by UV spectrum, probably in some scientific process in which I couldn't spell or pronounce. All I know is, everything from beer to supplements need to be kept dark and cool. Tobacco is much the same. Plus, if you leave your tobak in there long enough for some of that wonderful anaerobic action (that means years of keeping the lid on, or leavin' bacca in the tins), your patience will be rewarded.

8)