Humidifier Has Fungus Spots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey gents,

I'm an aoccasional cigar smoker. I have around 70 cigars in my humidor (Churchill, Coronas, etc) and I recently bought a new crystal humidifier.

I have put distilled water and an anti - fungus solution in the humidifier and here she goes.

This morning, I noted 4 fungus spots developing on the humidifier. Truth is, the humidity has been maintaining around 80, 81% over the last couple weeks....

Of course, I have wiped out the fungus with a Scott towel and let the humidity % drop to 75 before putting the humidifier back in the humidor.

I also have added a good amount of anti - fungus solution.

I just checked it out and the humidity remains at 75% and no fungus.

So I'm just wondering if I should be concerned by this?

Thanks for any help and advice.

I'm no humidor whisperer but I do know I'd rather smoke a cigar kept just under 70% than higher. I was told once that a lot of the stronger cigars maybe because of the ligero are often better at 67-69%. I'd try to get it down to 72 at least for personal preference. As far as your as your actual question about the humidifier and fungus I don't know, sorry. But less humidity can't hurt. Good luck.

I'm not a cigar or humidifier expert by any stretch of the imagination but, 80% seems high and I know from personal experience with our humidity here that that percentage can and does grow mildew and moss on even my p/u truck. So I think Johns right and try to reduce it down to at least 72%.

I hold at 70% with no problems, I think the guys are right,,,too much humidity.

When I was smoking more cigars than pipe, back in the early 90's , I always tried to keep 'em at btwn 68/70 % and around 75 deg. in temp. This kept every thing quite nicely smokeable. It was not a large humidor, and I still have it and use it for my Cuban Punch cigars, and it only will hold a box worth at one time so is easy to maintain.

So I have done some twichting and tests. I believe I probably put too much distilled water and anti - fungus solution in the humidifier. Currently, I am managing to maintain a 75 - 77% humidity in my humidor. But it's pretty damp weather these last weeks, so at least the fungus has not returned in the humidor.

I think things are going to be ok, finally. :D

Guyrox":20ejdsxt said:
So I have done some twichting and tests. I believe I probably put too much distilled water and anti - fungus solution in the humidifier. Currently, I am managing to maintain a 75 - 77% humidity in my humidor. But it's pretty damp weather these last weeks, so at least the fungus has not returned in the humidor.

I think things are going to be ok, finally. :D
Guyrox, like the guys said, the humidity is too high. To bring it down, simply let your humidor air out with the lid standing open for a couple hours. Close the lid for an hour, and then go back and check your hygrometer again. Continue the sequence until you get the humidity right where you need it.

It is actually a good problem to have during the summer months. In the coldest winter months, your humidor won't be struggling to hold it's humidity around 65 to 70%, like so many desktop humidors tend to do.

Dutch I have been opening the lid several times, the humidity dropped all the way to 58, 59%.

I would shut it, then, and the next morning, it was back up at 75, 77%.

I would reopen it, go through the drill, shut it again. Same result. I have been doing this for the last 2 weeks at least.

I'm thinking, as my humidifier was a new one, that I've probaby gorged it too much the first time?

I will start reopening the lid again, and let the % drop some more. :)