Humidifier question...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
bought one of the humidor kits from Thompson cigars; the one with two jars of "Wonder Gel", the bottle of solution and a digital hygrometer. It blurb says each jar will "keep a 100-count humidor at a perfect 70%"; put one jar in my office humidor, one in the home humidor.

The hygrometer never read higher than 45%, so I contacted Thompson, and after a bunch of traded emails and various gyrations (non of which helped) they sent me another hygrometer. Same thing! Took one home and put it in my other humidor; it never reads higher than about 45-50% either! The analog hygrometers in both seem to read a reasonable level.

So my questions: anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Are the hygrometers junk? My cigars do seem a little drier than I'd like, even though the analog hygros maintain a reasonable reading.

Any ideas? Thanks...

First thought that comes to mind, is that I never do business with Thompson cigar company. They are known for overcharging for low quality merchandise.

As for your humidor situation, the first thing that needs to be done is prime the humidor itself. I do this by simply taking a clean sponge, and saturating it with distilled water. Then I take a piece of plastic, usually a ziplock baggie, and lay the sponge on top of it in the bottom of my humidor. It will take two or three days for the spanish cedar to soak up the distilled water, but eventually it will read 80% humidity.

Once the humidor is primed, I replace the cigars, and add my humidification units. If after 24hrs, my humidity inside the humidor is too high, I simply let it sit for an hour or two with the lid open, and then close it back, and check the humidity again after it is given an hour to stabilize.

Another thought that comes to mind, is that those humidification jars are usually rated to humidify more cigars than they actually will. I usually have 2 jars inside each of my humidors, especially during the winter months. Also, I would recommend buying a Xikar hygrometer.

Humidification should be cheap and simple, but most companies way overcharge for their humidification devices. I would recommend using this ebay seller to obtain high quality humidification gel, which is much better than humidification beads, IMO. You can also get your jars from him, or simply use your own.

Link to humidification gel- http://www.ebay.com/sch/hunt_n_stuff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I don't think I've ever seen an accurate hygrometer of the gauge type. I like digital ones. Then who knows how accurate those are too.

1) ...never do business with Thompson cigar company. Too late for that. :D
2) ...prime the humidor itself. Been there, done that.
3) ...those humidification jars are usually rated to humidify more cigars than they actually will. I was beginning to think that myself.
4) Thanks for the ebay link. I'll give them a try.

Bobostro61":2zxkfy39 said:
I don't think I've ever seen an accurate hygrometer of the gauge type. I like digital ones. Then who knows how accurate those are too.
You can verify the accuracy by using the salt test on both types. Simple, easy and accurate.

all the above are good points. The other thing I'd add is to make sure your humi has a good seal. Try the dollar bill test - lay a bill across the edge of the open humidor, close it, and try and pull out the bill. Do this all around the perimeter of the humidor. If you call pull the bill through your seal isn't sufficiently tight to hold in humidity. Oh, and if it's a glass top humi, they are notorious for having bad seals around the glass.

Thanks for the replies. The priming, the dollar bill test, and a bunch of other stuff were included in the gyrations referenced above; all checked out. One humi is glass topped, one not - similar situation with both. A little more info on Heartfelt Beads - whatever they are - please?

like someone mentioned do a salt test on your hygrometers, they are never accurate, you can adjust the digital ones but I do't believe there are adjustable analog types but I don't know

Also, does your humidor have a glass lid? I have read about guys beefing up the seal around the glass with food-grade silicone. I can get you the instructions if you'd like.

Dave_In_Philly":6ublg13r said:
Also, does your humidor have a glass lid? I have read about guys beefing up the seal around the glass with food-grade silicone. I can get you the instructions if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer; might take you up on that if some of the other suggestions don't help.

Thanks for the info on the Heartfelt beads. I got on their website which was filled with testimonials about their customer service; however I have sent them two emails with questions and have not received a reply. For those who use their products here's my main question:

I have two humidors, 14"x10"x6" (840 cu in) and 10"x8.5"x4.5" (382.5 cu in). Your products were recommended to me and I am considering ordering the small round 70% humidifier for the smaller one and the large round 70% for the larger. Would this be my best option in your opinion?

Thanks for any input.

Idlefellow":bedlgvsm said:
Thanks for the info on the Heartfelt beads. I got on their website which was filled with testimonials about their customer service; however I have sent them two emails with questions and have not received a reply. For those who use their products here's my main question:

I have two humidors, 14"x10"x6" (840 cu in) and 10"x8.5"x4.5" (382.5 cu in). Your products were recommended to me and I am considering ordering the small round 70% humidifier for the smaller one and the large round 70% for the larger. Would this be my best option in your opinion?

Thanks for any input.
Size-wise you are probably ok, though it doesn't hurt to have more than you needs, so I would skip the small one. Also, personally, I don't really like the pucks. I prefer the tubes or mesh bags. Also, I would consider 65% beads, 70% is pretty high.

More surface area.

Also I'm a little anal and I like to move them around every now and again. I have three 1/2 pound mesh bags and two of the thinner/longer tubes in my cooler.

I never liked the pucks as well. I was always afraid of them dripping on my stash if it was attached to the lid. I use 65% Heartfelt beads. 65% works for me as I can pull a cigar and it's smokes very well. 70% seams a bit wet to me for smoking.

Adding newly aquired cigars will generally raise the humidity level for a short time as they tend to be higher humidity that we like when shipped. Some say to add only small amounts of new sticks to your humidor but I just throw them all in and let it equalize.

Ken

I was using tubes, them bags. The bag began to change color so I just put the beads in a crystal bowl and place in the top tray. I know I lost pace that way but it works out ok. I just have to be careful when moving it around.

I also keep my humidor in a Haier 12 bottle wine cooler to keep my stash at 68 degrees. The wine cooler is thermo-electric so it wont dry them out like a compressor cooler.

Ken